1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What is Your Favorite Fish Glue?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by slabbandit, Apr 3, 2017.

1. What do you prefer to use for an adhesive when doing skin mounts. I used to use Derma Grip paste in the red tub but wasn't totally convinced that it stuck well enough. Looking for something else.

2. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Pro-1 with a heavy white tint

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I use the same paste that I mix up for life size and shoulder mounts, I just whip it up a tad thinner.

4. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

pro1 is super good, but a bit thick, mixed with buckeye supreme or bryans supreme makes a perfect paste. That's what I use on all my mammals and gameheads. I also have had good luck with straight up caulk mixed with water to get a thin consistency, and that's what I use on all my retail fish.

For seams on show fish I use PC-7 based off a referral by Jeff Mourning. Works great, and will not move. It actually holds so good, I've had foam split on spawning fish because the glue held stronger than the foam was. haha.

5. I think buckeye and Brian's supreme is the same ,the named was changed when McKenzie started selling it.

6. Jimmy Lawrence

I think you're wrong but maybe not. Could be renamed since Ohio and buckeye are both eppely, but different now. Bryan's is sold by OTS. Buckeye is from Mckenzie. Not sure if they both kept same or not. I've used both with equal results however.

7. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I've been using a white caulking known as Alex Plus All Purpose Acrylic Latex Caulk Plus Silicone from my local Ace Hardware.

I was using a cheap white caulking from Walmart but I don't buy anything from Walmart anymore unless I can't get it anywhere else.

I can use this with trout skins and as long as I don't use too much, smooth out the skin with my wet hands, and remove any air bubbles, I get excellent uniformity of the skin surface and adhesion.

I believe one or more posters here turned me on to.

8. Bryan's supreme was made by Bryan lol then he sold the formula to McKenzie who changed it to buckeye ,Ohio being the buckeye state that's the story I was told at a convention.

9. Jimmy Lawrence

Lol I kinda had part of that figured out . Either way it's good glue

10. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

I use loctite, power grab. Of course, there is a right way and a wrong way to use it, you just have to be smart about it.

11. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I also use the acrylic latex caulk that Cecil uses. If you mist some water over it after putting it on, but before mounting, it smoothes out nicely.

12. BCastle

BCastle New Member

I use Surestick 111 Vinyl floor adhesive! It's been very good,locks fish skins down very nicely! It works well on small mammals too!

13. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

vinyl wallpaper paste over painted carved forms