1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

streching a hide

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by predatorpro, Apr 3, 2017.

1. First,Iv checked on here and couldn't come up with an answer so hopefully someone has a suggestion I could try.I have a hard tanned African Bushbuck shoulder cape from a customer he needs mounted. I rehydrated it in cold water.After a couple of hours I pulled it out and hung up to get some water off it then wrapped it up and put in the refrigerator to sweat over night.The next day I checked it and it rehydrated nice but ZERO stretch. I refroze until I had time to work with it.I now re thawed it and its still has zero stretched but is perfectly pliable.I now tried a cap full of downy in some regular temperature water and then put back in the refrigerator over night.Today I pulled it out and it still has zero stretch. I asked my customer where he got it tanned but he said they did it in Africa so he has no idea.What else can I do to get the stretch back.

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Why would a tanned hide have salt on it?

3. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

New one on me. I've never seen a tanned cape with a lot of salt on it. Now I have seen capes with 0 stretch.
    If it's tanned HOT water could help but it may not. Some tanning methods used in Africa produce 0 stretch.

4. Sorry about that.I meant it was hard tanned and I rehydrated it in just plain water.It had no salt.I was working on another one earlier that turned out just fine and that one had all the salt. Its a beautiful cape but without any strech.