1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Does anyone know what ......

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Kerby Ross, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Does anyone know what the criteria is for the Polytranspar Award? Or where one can find the verbiage that comes with the award?

Thanks

:)

Kerby...

2. Gary R

Gary R Active Member

It may vary, slightly, by state? But given that it's just for a paint, I don't know how many other variables they could have? Here is the Texas criteria for the award....perhaps other states are similar?

"Polytranspar Award - The Polytranspar Award go the highest scoring fish that was prepared using Polytranspar paints. The winner must be entered in the Masters or Professional division".

3. Kerby Ross

I was just ............

I was just wondering what the official wording was from whoever sends the award to the state associations.

Arizona just gave the Polytranspar award to a mt. lion ..... and there were fish at the show.

Kerby...

4. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

As the awards chair, I have seen the criteria that comes with the award. It says right on the award to be given to the highest scoring fish using polytranspar paints. It's basically a fish award, and this can make some of the other forms of taxidermy grumpy that they are not "eligible" for this award. But of course, once the state has the award in hand, they can do with it what they want; I prefer the judges give out the awards based on the criteria sent in with the award.

5. Kerby Ross

Thanks Cory,..........

Thanks, that is what I thought, but I thought maybe they (Polytranspar) changed it since Arizona was under the impression it went to the highest scoring piece using Polytranspar paint no matter what species or category.

It didn't affect me as I didn't go to the show ..... but to me the awards are pretty simple.

Kerby...

6. Gary R

Gary R Active Member

That sure sounds odd! Sure isn't much of a chance for a lot of Polytranspar paint on a mountain lion!?

7. jakecs

jakecs Member

Last year at the Nebraska show it was given to a pronghorn antelope

8. The criteria were at one time it could be a fish or a mount painted with Polytranspar paint. i.e. a wart hog must be painted and would qualify.

In place of asking the association ask Ken or now McKenzie, it is their award, without their guidance it would not exist.

9. Nearly all awards have a criteria sheet. I would think the state awards chairperson would take these sheets and put them in alphabetical order and hove it at the competition desk with them. Then competitors can look up the awards for themselves and see what it is for or SHOULD BE.

10. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

I won it a few years ago for a Rainbow that took first so as far as I know it's simply if you used the paint and a fish award............must be some variance in different States then.

11. Bob Mead

Bob Mead Mead Taxidermy Studio, LLC

We are on this issue Kerby, thanks for bringing it to the world's attention. Nothing nefarious happened in Arizona, but in the past other than fish have won this award, such as the pronghorn mentioned and also a turtle that I recall from years back. We are in the process of correcting the recipient of the award for 2016, which will indeed be a fish, and we will make sure the award goes to the proper species in the future per the award's rules. Polytranspar has the last word on this, and we will certainly comply with their criterion at future shows.

On a personal note, your passive-aggressive nature is becoming annoying, as I mentioned to you yesterday on Facebook, but you quickly "unfriended" me because I asked you if you ever tire of constant complaining. You responded and axed me, and since I was no longer on your friend list, I didn't see what you wrote. So be it, and I'm certainly not mad at you, but in my world if you have an issue with something, bring it up through the proper channels so it can be corrected. You could have easily called a board member or me and asked for clarification. Apparently your Army CoC training has worn off, and this attempt to make the ATA look foolish or incompetent is not productive.

You have my email and my phone number if you have any further issues with the way the show (which, as you mentioned, you didn't attend) was handled this year, feel free to use them. But don't use FB, we are apparently no longer friends there. And I hope you go to next year's show, we would love to see you there again.

Bob Mead
    Pres., ATA

12. Tims

Tims B&C Moose Daughter shot at age 10

This is what i have seen sent with the award.. pretty vague if you ask me. Is it only their paint or can one use 1 or 2 colors and win the award? Poly Need to give better info!
    Polytranspar- $50 Merchandise Credit- Given to the taxidermist who has the hightest score using Polytranspar paint.

13. Kerby Ross

Wow Bob,........

I asked a simple question and you get all bent out of shape. And then I make a post on my FB page about Safeway (which I was complaining about) and you post this on my FB page "me because I asked you if you ever tire of constant complaining". So yes, I unfriended you. I don't like that crap on my FB page. My post about Safeway had nothing to do about you or the ATA and I had plenty of other people that agreed with my comments.

Not sure where you think that I complain all the time? Is it because I ask questions? Because I have an opinion DIFFERENT THAN YOURS? I have been accused of being a trouble maker by the ATA in the past because I ask questions .......

I indeed did ask Heather about the award on a message on her FB page (private message) before I posted my question on here. I was just asking a question then as well. I was under the impression that she was in charge of awards this year as we have had a few conversations about them in the past. :) But I guess that is jumping the chain-of-command?

I didn't know that I needed your approval to ask questions.

When a problem arises I have no issues of addressing it and recommending other options ..... but to some that means that I am complaining. I am not a fan of passive leadership (ignore the problem and it will go away). When an association ASKS it's members for ideas and then I respond ..... well... there it is.

I thought you were a friend as well, until you posted crap on my FB page. I sure as hell have never said anything negative about you .... ever.

My question was about the Polytranspar Award and I was seeking clarification on the criteria on it ....... that is all. I am not sure why that ruffled any feathers.

I attend other state shows and before I go I almost always ask for clarification on the competition rules (President or board member) as not all states are the same....... i guess asking questions means I am always complaining? ? ?

Cheers

Kerby...