1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

scale roller question...

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Maineiac36, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Maineiac36

Maineiac36 Active Member

Hello folks, I was wondering if there is another brand out there that is a smaller scale pattern than the Mac-Z-scale roller that is offered through Mckenzie. I need to re build some area on a couple of brook trout and I dont know that the smallest size from Mckenzie will work for what I need to match up to, acording the the graph that is offered that shows the actual scale size, thanks!
    Dave

2. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Better off making an impression mold with silicone. I use GI-1000 translucent. Works very well when you can see through it, helps line up the scales better. Smaller scaled like brook trout not quite as critical on lining up.

3. Maineiac36

Maineiac36 Active Member

thank you!

4. den007

den007 Active Member

X 2 what Paul said. The mcZ scaler is not worth the $ in my opinion. I dont use it on seams in the back of fish, just smooth things out. It produces a regular, mechanical looking pattern that does not seem all that realistic, whereas a silicone mold is spot on for the fish you use it for.