1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Goby

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Jimmy Lawrence, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

I am in need of someone who has access to Goby's so that I can make some molds of them, or a current mold of them. I can't get them here in Iowa and need some for chase fish. 4-6''

I would send someone a couple casts if they send me some specimens in PERFECT shape to mold. The last one I had sent to me was unusable.

Thanks.

jimmy

2. any particular kind of goby? my wife has a yellow watchman goby in her saltwater tank. if something ever happens to it i'd certainly try and save it for you. she also has a red firefish goby. they're pretty hardy fish i think so she doesn't hope to lose them but in the off chance something does happen... what's the best way to store/handle it in order to freeze/ship?

3. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Jimmy,

Could be problematic in Michigan and probably other states on the Great Lakes where they are found as as soon as you possess one you need to kill it immediately if you're going to save it, or you are in danger of a $10,000 fine.

It Is Unlawful To:

Possess or transport any live transgenic (genetically engineered) organism or any live specimen of the following non-native fish, crayfish, or freshwater mollusk: bighead carp, black carp, silver carp, grass carp (white amur), members of the snakehead family (Channidae), Wels catfish, bitterling, stone moroko, zander, Ide, Japanese weatherfish, rudd, tench, Eurasian ruffe, tubenose goby, round goby, red swamp crayfish, yabby crayfish, rusty crayfish, killer shrimp, zebra mussel, golden mussel or quagga mussel. To do so may result in civil fines up to $10,000.

At least that's the way I read it? Anybody else?

4. It Is Unlawful To:
    Possess or transport any live transgenic (genetically engineered) organism or any live specimen

[/quote]

I noticed the word "LIVE", used in regards to transporting the said specimens.?
    What about a trade for a dead round Goby. No money is transacted and the goby is not alive....?

5. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

Yeah, i don't need them alive per say. . . .

I just don't want them smashed to **** , or torn up. If someone can go get me some easy, just take a container with a lid on it full of denatured alcohol and water, and throw them immediately into that.

Preserves them nice, keeps them firm, and kills them almost instantly

6. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

They are plentiful here in mi. Can catch easily off of the piers. Problem for me is I haven't fished in mi for several years. Do all mine in Canada. I will see if any of my friends are heading out, if so i will have them keep a bunch.

7. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Speaking of transporting fish that are illegal alive, but O.K. dead, I know a fish hauler that thought he was clever but it didn't work out so well.

There is a market for asian carp in Canada but they have to be dead on ice. So he loads up live asian carp and before heading across the border drains the water from the fish tanks and throws in ice. Problem was one of the fish refused to die and he got busted for transporting live asian carp. Canada confiscated the fish and fined him several thousand dollars. They also sold the fish and kept the proceeds.

8. EA

EA Well-Known Member

They should have confiscated his truck and jailed him too.
    Way to many invasives in the US because of greed.

I'll be going fishing at Erie before to long. End of May, probably June and a couple days in July for sure. If you haven't received any by then I'll try to fix you up.

9. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

But there is a market for them in Canada and it's perfectly legal if they're dead. Live is another story!

10. EA

EA Well-Known Member

I get it, but he risked an ecological catastrophe. The fish may have had a snowballs chance in Haiti of escaping, but nothing is impossible.
    One of those crazy moose darts in front of him, he swerves and puts his truck in a lake..Shazam, Canada has Asian Carp. ;D

11. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

O.K. I see your point. ;D

The feds make fish farms test for VHS even though it has never been found on a fish farm.

12. EA

EA Well-Known Member

I Googled VHS and see it is in Erie too. I've never noticed any fish with it, but will pay more attention now.Of coarse the zebra mussels are spreading and in the rivers now.

The Potomac has the snakeheads. They are tasty too and they are trying to come up with another name that may be more appetizing than snakehead. Maybe Potomac Goby. ;)

13. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

VHS had been in the Great Lakes for decades. It came in via ballast water, probably along with an exotic that also came in via the ballast water. There were a few fish kills, but it appears now positive testing fish in the Great Lakes have developed an immunity as there are no longer any fish kills attributed to the virus -- even though one study shows fish testing positive at all the major Great Lakes ports.

If I want to sell live fish across state lines (intrastate is O.K. as the virus apparently knows where the state line is LOL ) I have to kill 60 fish per lot and fork over $600.00 per lot to have a vet take samples and to have a lab test the fish. But like I said it's never been found on a fish farm and probably never will be. In fact it's never been found in any inland waters in my state. This was the feds solution for a virus found in the wild: Test any fish leaving the private fish farms.

Like Reagan said, The ten more feared words in the english language are, "Hi, I'm from the government and we're here to help."

Recently had several hundred extra trout fingerlings and got permission to plant then into a local trout stream rather than destroy them due to lack of room at my facility. No VHS testing was required as the eggs came from a VHS tested facility that tested negative. I got that in writing. Furthermore my water supply was a well, which also negated any VHS testing. At the last minute a guy from my DNR called me and said he wanted me to test for VHS although it was not protocol due to there reasons I stated above. I told him I couldn't justify the expense of testing when I was giving the fish away for free. Can you imagine what a moron I'd have to be to fork over over $600.00 to give fish away?

14. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Just read something depressing about the Round Gobies. They are now making their way up tributaries of the Great Lakes that don't have dams blocking their way. They are pushing out natives species like various darters. What a shame. Although they have been in the Great Lakes since about 1980 this seems to be a new phenomenon.

In their native range they don't move up into tributaries apparently because there are species there that halt their progress.

15. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Cecil...as a card carrying Democrap you should be able to get a $600 tax credit for the testing. Better yet apply for a grant to test your own fish and have the government pay you to do the testing. Isn't that the way it works in the Democrap world?

16. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I'm not a democrat JL. I vote both parties. I may lean left but I know enough to know there are good and bad candidates on both sides.

Maybe I'll get lucky and Trump will drop all health testing? ;)

17. Timjo

Timjo Active Member

USA

I doubt it.

Judging by your avatar it looks like you're fantasizing about Hillary being president. ;D

18. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Oh Timbo. I guess you're not familiar with Queen Trump? :) There is nothing about my avatar that has anything to do with Clinton. I think you're the one that has Clinton on your mind. :)

19. Timjo

Timjo Active Member

USA
    Well, Mr. Bird I don't know anything about your Queen. I don't fall for the liberal bull-tweed crap, too chaotic and disruptive.
    If you like to dress up in women's clothing or fantasize about men in women's clothing, so be it. I'm not judging, it's just not my bag. Again, I'm not judging. I just don't think its fair that you get special rights. That's where the politics here come into play with your avatar.
    Kinda like the Goby being an invasive species. You have to admit, they do look funny. Right?

20. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

My name isn't Mr. Bird, I don't dress up in women's clothes, and apparently I'm too progressive for you so you have to attack me personally in the fish category?

I put on a uniform and served for you right to attack me personally I guess. So carry on even though your posts makes no sense.

As far as the avatar it's no different than the Obama avatars we used to have around here. Get over it.