1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Size help for Giant Canadian Goose

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by RichMO, Apr 12, 2017.

1. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

Did the search thing and found some basic information but not very specific.... For those that have mounted one of these birds standing was looking for foam neck size and wire sizes.

What I've come up with so for is neck material: 1 1/4" ??
    Wire size for legs: 8 - 10 GA. galvanized wire ??
    Neck wire: ?
    Wing wire: ? (out of curiosity wire size if flying: ??)

Thanks

Ducks are so much easier.....LOL

2. idbatman

idbatman Active Member

Whats your body size? And what are you doing with the neck? I use 9 annealed if I'm tucking it up but go to 6 if its alert. Flying wings I use 9. I would go 6 on the legs. Neck foam I use 7/8 and a 1/2.

3. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

for neck use 1 inch or 7/8 inch foam with 8 GA rod/wire and after you slide neck foam in then using a pull string,pull a pc of 3/8 cotton rope in for trach......legs 8 GA,wings 16 GA stand or 10 flying...I use solid foam bodies for giants and drill holes and bondo wires in with a loop on them.....when wet they seem heavy but when dry they are light as a feather......I use real head/bill.....if using a heavy fakey bill you may need heavier neck wire....yup agree with you on ducks...wrap all my bodies for them but honkers swans cranes need structure like turkey

4. idbatman

idbatman Active Member

Nice Pat . Great minds think alike. I will have to give the cotton a try. Some times depending on the size I just use the 7/8 or 1 inch then add a wedge of 1/2 of a 3/4 or so after the skin is on to blend the neck line into the bottom of the head or trach. The last thing you want is a tight neck skin. Alex plus clear caulk? Or Dales bird paste if there is a lot of shot holes in he neck. I pull the wire on geese but I loop and Bondo Turkey , Crane and Swan. Bodies are foam that I purchase and modify or carve.

5. byrdman

some of our giants here in Minn get up to 20 pounds so like to stay away from pulling wires on these big boys...

6. idbatman

idbatman Active Member

Thats Tunda size!

7. byrdman

the tundras we call the "little" swans......they are tiny next to the trumpeters...

8. idbatman

idbatman Active Member

The other issue with these guys is the attachment and support structure for flying poses . I have switched to 1/2 square tubing bondoed flush in the body. Then I use 3/8 square stock as the support wire. I bondo it in the wall base . I know its a lot but they dont ever bend the attachment. And I have "temporary supports" that I use to mount on and hang to dry, then do the base work later and attach it with a few drops of epoxy.

9. byrdman

just like moose or elk antlers...