1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Nictitating Membrane

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by RichMO, Apr 14, 2017.

1. I use the part on the side - not the top. It already has a nice curve to it.

Bruce

2. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

I do but 99% of people have no clue that they even exist....

3. Thanks for posting this question. I see a lot of mounts without them and wondered the same thing.

4. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I think its worth it, as it may often be one of those subtle details that makes a person choose you over another, whether you are aware of it or not. To me, it helps sell the expression, especially on most eye rotations. Plus its help correct when an eye isnt 100% accurate from the dealer, or errors in setting them in the mount.

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

The one thing that I was worried about was that the customer, who probably does't know what a nic is, might think that I made a mistake and just put too much apoxie on the eye. That is why I explained nics to new customers and to my repeat customers when I made the change over. I think my customers appreciated me explaining things like nics, noses not being black,etc. and showing photographic evidence to back it up before I took it in. At least they expressed it to me in most cases. Most were impressed that someone would study enough to know these things.

6. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

My hunch is, some folks get the nic out too far, giving the customer cause for questioning it. Not saying everyone, but I believe thats happening.

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I believe you may be right. I have seen nics that take up 1/4 of the eye practically. I'm guilty of the opposite. I under do them if anything. I just like to nip it in the bud by being proactive instead of explaining after the fact.

8. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

What I see at our outstanding deer showcase during the state outdoor show is most of the mounts there, with some of the best high scoring trophy's taken the year prior, the last thing customers worry about is the nic membrane. Ok to poor quality taxidermy work with a handful of quality mounts mixed in. Overall correct anatomy is of little value but lower cost is the norm.

9. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

As bad as some of the membranes look on some finished deer I see posted, some would be better off not trying to put them in.

10. Do you use apoxie sculpt to add the nic's after the mount has dried?

11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I make them with Apoxie Sculpt as part of my finish work after it has dried.

12. I have learned from my MENTOR that when a piece leaves your shop, it bares your ....signature. So, the answer is a question. What do you want people to think of your pieces?

13. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

silverwings, you are obviously correct, but I just have a negative opinion about MENTORs. You see, MENTORs tend to teach THEIR methodology and many times those people depending on their MENTOR end up discovering there alternative ways of doing things that are much more comfortable to them. I understand I'm an anachronism as the only MENTOR most of us my age ever had was "trial and error". I was thrown out of several taxidermy shops for asking the most basic of questions. Thankfully that's gone and hopefully will never return, but your statement would have had a much greater impact had you left your MENTOR our of it. That's now YOUR opinion and, in my experience, quite factual. Still, I have a great many of my clients who never see anything but their "horns". I've had them never notice double white patches, manes, or even obvious scars on the hide. Trust me, those guys will never ever notice a nictitating membrane that I dutifully put on my mounts.