1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pheasant Wattles: restoration of color and retaining its velvet texture

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by AZ~Rich, Apr 17, 2017.

1. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

I realize there are a number of proven ways to do this, but I worked out a method for restoring Pheasant wattles to their rich red color without adding layers of paint that can mat down the velvety texture of the fine feathers. It is simple and requires just two items from Michaels.

First, after the wattles are dried, clean them with a toothbrush (dry) or with a little Windex if needed. Next use the two items from Michaels which are shown. A Prismacolor marking pen PB-5 in the "Scarlet Lake" color plus a Prismacolor Color Pencil PC922 in "Poppy Red". Total cost is about $8. The marking pen has two tips to choose from and used to restore pigment to the skin throughout the wattle in between black feather groups and anywhere it appears mottled. This gives uniformity to the coloration and the ink soaks into the skin in a very controlled fashion.

After getting a uniform coloring back into the skin, use the colored pencil tip to "brush" up the tiny feathers over the entire wattle surfaces. You will see right away how this brings luster and a velvety, light-reflecting sheen back to the wattle feathers. It really does pop as it adds more uniform pigment to the tiny feathers and lifts them up in the process. The best thing is it is very controlled and eliminates the need to airbrush or hand paint it.

If one is concerned about any of the pastel pencil pigment coming off, I suppose hitting it with a light airbrushed coat of a clear Matt finish could lock it in. However I personally don't see the need for doing that yet.

Hope this helps. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Awesome! Thanks for sharing your knowledge

3. Western Wildlife Art Studio

Western Wildlife Art Studio STUDIO PHONE (406) 356-2100

marking