1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How to bring shine back in rams horns

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by mudbug77, Apr 19, 2017.

1. mudbug77

mudbug77 New Member

I've just mounted my first two rams and their horns are dull. After doing some research, I read this is something normal that happens. But how do I get that "shine" back?

2. Wild Images

Wild Images New Member

I don't like putting anything on sheep horns but once in a while you have to
    A really light rub of peanut oil will do the trick and not look goofy

3. Jeesieword

Jeesieword New Member

What do you mean

4. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

They usually do not shine

5. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

WD-40 or Solid Gold furniture polish. In a week it soaks in so they don't shine, but it keeps them from looking too dried out.

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I would never put anything on the "golden horns" but on dark horns and antlers, I've used 50/50 (turpentine/linseed oil). I paint it on and then wipe it off. Within a few minutes, the oils will absorb into the horn and leave a rich, deep glow to them. (If you have rattling antlers, the 50/50 will add timbre back into the tone that is lost as they dry and age.)

7. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I've used that mixture on bison and other similar animals. That works well, but I wouldn't use it on ram. What I suggested is what I use only if the horns are too dried to look natural. Don't overdo it and within a week, you won't be able to tell because everything gets absorbed.

8. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Mop and glow

9. FIELD2FOREVER

FIELD2FOREVER The more I learn, The more I don't Know!!

Yep

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Why would you guys put clear acrylic on sheep horns? You know that's a semi-permanent covering? When it yellows or ages, you're going to have to wash it off with hot water and soap. Turpentine and linseed oil soak into the horn as does the Liquid Gold, WD 40 and other oil based products.