1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What resin do you use to cast fins?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by oldyellowdog, Apr 19, 2017.

1. oldyellowdog

oldyellowdog Member

Casting noob here. using silicone to mold, one side at a time, to make a one piece mold. would like a clear fin, and also an amber semi transparent fin. will be using a pressure pot, at 50 psi.

not set in stone... what does everyone use? opaque? white? who do you buy from? quantities?

I have used all forms, shapes, and colors from other manufactures

Sorry for all the questions, just don't want to spend all my money in the wrong direction.

Thanks for any and all help.

Dan

2. I use IE3025 that you can buy from anglersartistry.com it's nice and clear but you can tint it to achieve a amber color if desired.

3. Considering mold type you are using and viscosity of fin casting material, to suit is important also. I use fin magic, with good results. It can be purchased, from McKenzie or Angler's Artistry as well.
    The Reproductions shown below have fins cast with fin magic..

Attached Files:

4. IE 3080 will give you a little more working time. Same as the 3025 in translucency

5. oldyellowdog

oldyellowdog Member

Thanks guys,

Nice fins Dondi! How much working time do you have with the ie3025, and the ie3080? does Rick sell the tint, or what do you use? Dan

6. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

I've used Dondi's blanks, and they're super fantastic . Had no idea they were Fin Magic.

I've personally had several BAD experiences with Fin Magic. From bad batches, not holding shape, being too brittle, not rigid enough, and most of all Yellowing . Every fish I've ever used it on to attach fins, it's yellowed. EVERY SINGLE ONE. from multiple batches over multiple years.

Having said that, I've also had great results from it. It's simply to inconsistent for my use in the shop. I use smooth on 325 or the slower kicking one. Very similar to 3025. I however order directly from a place near KC and get it cheaper and faster than anywhere else I've found. I've also used the color match dye and they work fantastic.

90% of my replicas I make, sell, and use are simple fiberglass resin. Sometimes even Bondo.

7. Jimmy
    Sounds like you are pleased with the smooth -on fin material products that you are using..
    I like to seal the resin fins on my reproduction blanks. This will keep your fins from yellowing, and depending what you seal them with, it can strengthen them and make them a little more durable. Crystal clear enamel or even a light coat of Tuff Fin will do.

8. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

fiberglass resin if I want a yellow tint or red tint. bondo/resin if I dont need any light to pass thru. 3025 for clear. i have never tried fin magic

9. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I've had bad experiences with Fin Magic. I usually just use fiberglass resin. It comes out slightly amber.