1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Green Mold on Leather/Inside Paws

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Relentless, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Hey everyone- I just bought a nice coyote pelt, but when the pelt came in, there is mold in the paws- a nasty, fuzzy greenish mold.
    (Currently the pelt is in the freezer- was placed in there immediately- because I found beetle casings in the fur as well. :-\)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any tips on how to remove it? I have checked the search, with little to no results.
    I have gotten suggestions such as : white vinegar, lysol, or rubbing alcohol.

Just trying to figure out my best course of action and get as many opinions as possible, especially since i don't know how far into the paws the mold goes.

Any suggestions would be helpful. I do not know how old/strong the tan is and that is what worries me the most- the coyote is pretty uniquely colored and it would be a shame if the paws fell apart.

Thank you :D

2. Doubled-d65

Doubled-d65 Member

PA
    Contact the seller first then you both decide

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Looks like it's just dried and not tanned.
    You may be ok as far as it not slipping but after you hydrate the hide and get it into the pickle it'll kill the mold or a quick spray of water and a bit of bleach will kill it in the mean time.
    also call the seller and see what he says as far as it slips or replacement

4. Thank you both for the suggestions :) I ended up going with Lysol since the pelt is definitely tanned. I tan pelts actually so I am pretty familiar with untanned/tanned pelts- the paws looked untanned because they were not broken. The tanning job really isn't the kind of quality I'd like (I do not know who tanned it)- but it is good enough as a wallhanger.

I'd definitely recommend Lysol to anyone dealing with mold on a tanned pelt (wiped the mold off first, then filled the paws with it/sprayed the outside/fur of the paws/between the toes/etc.). It rehydrated the paws to a certain extent and I was able to break the leather and make them softer, look nicer, disinfect, get the sawdust out as it dried (opened up the paws to get maximum airflow), and ensure there was no mold left.

I'm glad it worked out because I do not believe the seller would have been willing to offer a replacement (they were not from Taxinet)... nevermind the fact that this is a unique coyote and it would be very hard to find another one, especially at the price I got it for! ;)