1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

A couple questions about turkeys

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by tmpatton22, Apr 22, 2017.

1. A little background info. I mounted a turkey in the flying position about 4 days ago. I washed it in dawn and rinsed well then blow dried, bagged, and refrigerated overnight.

Questions

1. What is the best way to get the wings to stay upright? At the moment I am supporting them with an 8 gauge wire on each side but it is very visible if you look on the underside of the wing.

2. I noticed some feathers that were splintered and appear dirty after I mounted it. I was thinking of trying one of the following three items to clean them, either acetone, lacquer thinner, or rubbing alcohol. Will these products work or is there a better method?

Any information will help, thank you for your time.

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Do you have wires in the wing attached to the radius and humerus and anchored through the body?

3. Yes I do. I used 10 gauge wire. It runs from the tip of the of the wing along the 2 middle bones then up the large bone where the ball is that goes into the shoulder socket and the wire is attached with multiple zip ties and bondo. I cut the ball off and have it pulled tight against the form but the feathers on the wings don't want to stay up they want to fall down to where they hang straight down towards the ground.

4. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Carding and temporary wiring till the skin completely dries. Then remove all the carding and temp wires

5. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

Sounds like he skinned the secondary feathers off the bone.

Did you add caulking the the 2 bones to lock the quills to the bone you cut them off of?

I do that on small birds, but on turkeys, instead of tubing the wing out, I cut the underside of the wing to access the meat, and zip tie area... i leave the quills of the secondaries attached to the bone, then (on open wing bird) sew it back up after the caukk, cotton, and zip tied wires are installed.

If closed wing I just trim the skin

I also put dry preserve or borax in the wing before sewing it up

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

6. Yea I didn't tube skin the wing I opened it up from the underside. I put bondo in there to hold the feathers in place but maybe it didn't. I put DP on the entire skin on the inside should I have put borax also?

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I always run a wire with neck material around it under the wing feathers through the the skin and into the form. I use pins, cardboard, string and tape as needed to get the look I want. After thoroughly dried,I remove the wire, pins, string and cardboard.

8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

DP in the wing is the way to go in my opinion.

9. Thank you all for the input I really appreciate it.