1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Silicone and formaldahyde?

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by Sotired, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

Does anyone know if silicone reacts to formadahyde? I was thinking of molding a specimen preserved in it. Any thoughts?

~S

2. At one time I purchased a display jar of a large frog in formaldehyde from a university surplus sale. The specimen was perfectly preserved in "diving mode" and I thought it would make a great model for a reproduction. I removed the frog and rinsed it multiple times in fresh water and patted it dry with paper towel. I then made a silicone mold from it. The silicone seemed to cure without any problems or delays but when I removed the frog there were thousands of tiny bubbles that had formed at the surface of the silicone. It seems like some type of vapor or liquid was seeping out of the frog skin while the silicone was curing. I tried one gel coat casting but the detail of the frog was poor. I had also planned to try and mold a sea cucumber that was preserved in formaldehyde but never did after the frog experience.

Although I haven't tried it, I think the alcohol preservation approach may be better. It would definitely be safer and I don't think you would have any compatibility issues with the silicone.

3. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

Thanks for the reply! I had been wondering about reactions. Someone on the fish forum was asking about casting an octopus, and I thought of 'freezing' it in position in water with some formalin. Once rubbery, it could be removed and cast in silicone IF there was no reactions to silicone!!! Alginate was also suggested. My thought was that one could capture the body shape as it is in water with natural buoyancy, etc. We shall see.

Thanks again for your reply.

~S