1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Strange Colored Eastern Turkey. Nancy C. any input?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Tom M., Apr 24, 2017.

1. Tom M.

Tom M. Member

This wild eastern bird was harvested in Sullivan County, PA. Does anyone have any input into the cause of the unique white feathers? Thank You.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. WILD BROOKIES

WILD BROOKIES JOIN EBTJV SAVE A RESOURCE

Re: Strange Colored Eastern Turkey

theres some domestic genes in the bird from somewhere

3. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

Re: Strange Colored Eastern Turkey

That's interesting...
    Maybe Nancy Crocker will post.

4. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

So weird. I was commenting on a similar one earlier today. Just speculating that it might be a temporary situation caused by a severe lack of one dietary component. (Pretty common in crows, but I've never heard of it in turkeys.) Now I'm wondering if the two birds might be from the same area.
    Are you on Facebook?
    There's a turkey color genetics group on there and they love this sort of thing.

If you aren't on Facebook can I share the photo?

Oh, and as for it being part domestic? It's highly doubtful. Domestic turkeys come in a lot of colors, but one pattern that they don't have (yet) is true piebald.
    It's probably just a matter of time, but so far it hasn't happened.

5. Tom M.

Tom M. Member

Nancy,

Thank you for the information. I am on facebook but go ahead a share the photo if you would like. Thank you for your response.

6. Mason

Mason Active Member

I had a few easterns in a pen here at home for quite some time. The few that lived the longest. 12 or 13 years. Developed feathers like this, the last few years they were alive.

7. Tom M.

Tom M. Member

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

8. Geez people are you really that dumb? Where did the white turkey come from??? Fromt he Wild and through inbreeding now gett only one in 500,000 with color.

9. John L

John L Active Member

I have a flock roosting near my deer stand and there are about 50-60 in the flock. Two of them are more blochy white than the pics above. One is a hen the other was a Jake last deer season. Both have as much or more white than brown color.

10. I guy showed me a beard off one that he shot the other day and it was half white never seen that before.

11. spurhunter

spurhunter Active Member

SC
    Cool bird. Very interesting to me that the abnormal coloring is symmetrical.

12. goose2duck

goose2duck New Member

mind if I ask where abouts in sulco being that I am from there
    I live in muncy valley PA
    thanks

13. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Here are two very wild Eastern gobblers that have been seen numerous times here in little old Delaware. I've asked several turkey gurus and they all agree they've never seen anything like these. No nuclear reactors near and no golden pheasants to interbreed with. Was hoping at least one of them would be shot this past season but they slipped away. Maybe next year.

[​IMG]

14. All of the domestic color genetic originally came from the wild, after domestication they were selectively breed for these colors giving us what we see as only domestic know! That being said by all accounts turkey populations of yeastier year blows us nowadays outta the water, Allot of these oddities are more prevalent in higher populations(multiple beards, odd colors, multiple spurs, extra) that being said it probably wasn't that odd 2 or 3 hundred years ago! Ive seen on good hatch years as many as 3 and 4 piebald and white and red margins in birds in big winter flocks, there is one county north off me in one area that most of the birds have the red secondarys! Lovett Williams talks on this extensively, In several books its just genetic diversity, it is passed on so keep your eyes peeled! Lovett said the rarest of all are the birds with One odd colored feather on one side and nothing on the other outta the norm, Dad killed a fall hen one year with one solid white primary Mr Williams said its 1 in a million I didnt know that at the time dont even have a good pick! just my 2 cent!

15. WildArt2013

WildArt2013 New Member

Im mounting a smoke wild turkey hen right now. Salt and pepper