1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

size 26" B measurement deer form

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by mikdandn, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    Come on George and tell us we are stupid and can't measure a cape! One of the biggest necks I've ever mounted came from a S Texas buck on a Tecomate low fence farm. Nutrition on food plots everywhere ain't like the old days..

Now I'm ready for you to insult me :)

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Are you one of those self-flagellation guys with the whips and chains and leather jock straps? Do you need to be insulted? I'm not into kinky stuff. I'm not doubting YOUR largest deer came from there. I know several of those ranchesbuy deer farm breeder bucks and use that 80+% protein feed. I saw vials of 500 inches deer in Michigan going to South Texas. But when someone tells me that 23-25 inch deer are "common" I just automatically get out my rubber boots.

3. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    Great job on the roundabout insult George! You still have it old buddy, I'll keep you spry every now and then here on this site. Without your super comments, I might not visit this site so often :)

4. I agree with JP Baker.Im just a part timer,so what do I know.But,
    out of 170 shoulder mounts this year I have 48 that were over 23 inch necks.Id say that's pretty common.Thats not counting the 2 that are over 26inchers. I'm in west central Texas.

5. I would use a Mears and build it up to what you need.
    Here is a "iddy biddy " texas buck
    [​IMG]

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I'm sorry Kendall. I'm unrepentant. I can make a 20 inch buck look just like that if I pull the brisket up under the chin. Hide stretches. I've only been doing taxidermy a couple weeks so I might be wrong on this one.

7. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

Thank you... I have a 25" at the ears now. 8 1/4 E/N
    True tory George.. I wouldn't BS you. Aint in me. Now granted that's far from the norm.. 22" -24" are fairly common.

8. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

They're right George

9. JPT

JPT Member

Yep, not to mention how big the muzzles on them are. I use Coombs Nothern Series forms on them if I can.

A mature South Texas buck's cape will be as big as or bigger than most mature Northen Deer!

10. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

Yep.
    Jetz BIG deer form, his 7 5/8x23x25 with its big blocky head, makes a beautiful mount when you slap one of those giant capes on it too. So do the BIG Matuskas..