1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

New flexible multi position deer mount - The FlexMount - Would love feedback!

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Bdavidson0148, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Bdavidson0148

Bdavidson0148 New Member

My family and I have created and patented what we call the FlexMount. It is a mannequin that can be repositioned even after it has been mounted. We feel this takes the wait out mounting because you won't have to wait for multiple people to want the same style mount to get bulk pricing. One mount multiple positions. We need taxidermists to help us get the hide on the mannequin. Any advice/thoughts would be appreciated! Thank you and God Bless!

https://www.facebook.com/blake.davidson.167/videos/1209708529133061/

2. I think it is a pretty cool idea, where could I buy one? And how much do they cost? I have all of my deer mounted for this year, but I would like to mount one eventually.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    You asked for feed back so here goes, Some antlers are probably heavy enough to eventually turn an upright pose into a full sneak and keep going. Gravity will continuously work on that. Unless the skin is glued to the form and supports the weight and that isn't a gamble I want to take. There isn't a way to adjust that form once the cape is glued and dried, it ain't happening, we don't mount them dry. You don't want drumming on the cape, it needs to be glued pretty much everywhere. That cape has to stretch in some areas and bunch in others when you adjust the form, as it would when the deer was alive

4. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Will work for one mount pose after its dried, after that either the hide will rip, crack or split or barely move at all, espiclly for your dry preserve guys.

5. Brian

Brian Active Member

Kind of cool as you can change positions as it's wet to get a pose you really like but once dry it's not going to be able to move.cool but kind of pointless in the same.good luck.

6. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

Erie, PA
    take it to your local taxidermist who probably has a spare cape in his freezer. he or she might be interested in doing a test run and see what happens after its mounted and the hide and glue dry.

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Interesting.

The form would have to be able to have hide pastes adhere to it, be able to be altered for more than just pose, and the internal armature must be able to hold the pose.

Like was said, a heavy set of antlers should not be able to make it "creep" down or from one side or the other.

There would have to be many sizes available also.

I would like to see a more professional video that would show off more of the form, I.E. the facial features and muscle detail.

8. Hope you have it Patent Pending and I hope you didn't copy someones deer form........looks pretty familiar.

DP

9. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

X2 ! how anatomically correct is that neck movement ?
    Good luck
    Tommy

10. Come on people ! I dont think the man was saying or intended for the manikin to be moved after the drying period. I think his approach is mount it up , adjust to the desired position. When its dry that what you got !

Sure some antlers could creep it down, yet none of of know, how ridged it may actually be. In any case it wouldn't take any more nursing time for a few days like the ears, eyes lips as normal until it was set.

The only real problem I see from the video is the bunching of the foam in the front when he bent it down in the aggressive position. Yes it could be worked out but not worth the extra time when I could have just bought an aggressive form to begin with.
    I do how ever see the advantage of the option from straight , left or right turn. How many time have we screwed up and miss ordered the wrong turn for a deer. even as much as i recheck my self I still manage to do it. Its sure easy to just right the wrong dang number down, That manikin would fix my self inflicted mistake.
    I dont see it taking over the industry as a standard, or even a major player, but I do see it as a possible option .

Im not sure if Vandykes still offer them or not but they did have or still have life size flex forms. I never much cared for them , they didn't really hold the position you put them in, particular the snake manikins. put lots of people did /does like them.
    same thing will apply here I would imagine . hate or love it. no in between.

Anybody crazy enough to think outside the box and try to sell it to US ALL bunch of broke, over inflated egos, half nuts, know it all taxidermist ;D ;D ;D ::) ::) :-[ :-[ :-[ :'( :'( :'( ;D ;D
    welllllllll should have earned some kind of respect.

Those thats been doing this long enough can tell whos head and shoulders that belongs to. Im hoping that it is just a prototype . If not you might want to read up in this.
    https://www.law.cornell.edu/copyright/cases/74_F3d_488.htm

11. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    In the discussion on facebook it was stated that a dry, soft tanned cape has to be used, so that you could change the position.

12. Then i stand corrected.
    It simply wont work or will look like crap!

13. jkjohn

jkjohn New Member

I think it's a good idea to have in the shop only for clients that do not know how they want it mounted,or turned, you can quickly show them what it will look like.See what they like, then order your standard form.Moving a mount after it's dried no matter how the Cape is tanned is asking for troupe and probably will rip, and you better not But and clay anywhere from the ears how your Its history also.I think each shop.could use one for form preferences only

14. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

a soft tanned skin would still have to be soaked and when dry would not be very pliable

15. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Me and others have talked a bit about something similar, but we always saw the obvious shortcomings. Its a cool idea though. Still, I share the concerns listed ahead of mine. Plus a few other concerns. Plus, what about the part about saving time? That didnt make sense at all. I wish them well though. First thing Id do is use their own form, hope that doesnt belong to another artist. Second would be to stiffen it up, and perhaps market it to turn BEFORE mounting.

16. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I assumed that the posing was done prior to mounting, not after. Cape has to be damp to work.

I don't think that a taxidermist waiting and waiting for enough people to order a 28" left sneak pose for a bulk discount is the reason it takes so long to get your deer head back. Last time I looked, a volume discount is offered by how much you spend, not how many of one thing you buy.

17. I spoke to him. The intent is to be able to move it after it is mounted. If you move and the place you want to hang it makes it look at the wall, then turn it.

He said mount it with a soft tan. He understands that capes shrink in the tan so that is a problem for obvious reasons. He also said that Yes his prototype was from a McKenzie form but they have since sculpted an Original.

18. In his Facebook he has pics of a local taxidermist mounting on one.

19. R.J. Meyer II

R.J. Meyer II Member

"Taxidermist usually wait until multiple people want the same style mount in order to get bulk pricing." This is totally wrong. No one gets a bulk discount based on a shoulder mount pose.