1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Help on a cool rare trophy

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by DogSoldierChick, Apr 26, 2017.

1. I'm sure some of y'all have seen me on here... in other areas as I've only mounted a very few fish. One skin mount with assistance and a couple reproductions myself.... anyway I LOVE bowfishing. Today I was shooting some common carp when I got a glimpse of a cool looking all white fish and this one. They blew by my feet at mach4 and were gone. I told my husband let's let them calm down and come back. It worked. The white one hadn't come back in but this one had. Not sure he believed me seeing it the first time but he believed me when I screamed "I got it!!" I was so excited and couldn't quit looking at how cool it was. I posted some pics on fb and tossed it on ice. When I got home I realized it had caused quite a discussion as to what it was. I had some of my biologist buddies look at it and still got conflicting results between mirror carp and mirror koi. I'm leaning towards koi or a cross because the one we didn't get is solid white but no matter what mirrored ones I'm hearing are more rare especially since this is a local creek backing up to the Cordell Hull lake on the Cumberland River. The white one went back into the lake but they were chasing with common carp. Breeding has begun and I'll try him again tomorrow.

Anyway I said all that to say this.... as a taxidermist I have VERY little experience with fish. I can do a decent job with building colors and shimmer but no casting fish or skin mounting experience other than helping and observing.

I think what I want to do is get someone with koi or carp experience to cast me a reproduction to do on my own and maybe them do a skin mount on him for me. I have tons of pics and he is frozen.

What do you guys think? I'm hoping Rick Krane and Josh Knuth as well as others will chime in....
    Pics coming

2. https://m.facebook.com/rachel.j.burchett?ref=bookmarks

Here is my Facebook until I can get photobucket to cooperate.

3. [​IMG]

4. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Looks like a Mirror Carp to me. Koi, I believe are created by humans breeding various carp to get the desired colors so I'm not sure how you can tell for certain. But, given the fact that Koi this size can get quite expensive I doubt it was released by somebody. Statistically speaking, sheer numbers of what's out there puts it in the Mirror Carp column. Plus, all the Koi I have seen have been full scaled.

P.S. Josh is indeed the man for molding the weird stuff (lol). He did an Asian Arowana for me that turned out great.) Jimmy Lawrence I understand is also molding fish these days. And, I'm sure there might be a few others out there too that might be interested. Either might also be able to do the skin mount for you too. Maybe. I don't know what Rick is up to these days but I didn't think he molded fish, but I could be wrong. Good luck and congrats!

5. Dog soldier chick
    one consideration in molding, is that the process will capture all body punctures, missing scales, split fins etc. Handling of the fish to be molded is very important.
    Your specimen, will involve retooling the mold or for a "one off", chasing the cast.
    Just something to consider in regards to molding..

6. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

If someone brought me that fish I'd tell them I wasn't interested. ;D

7. Ok I know I shot it but after that it was handled very gently... lol. Not much I can do about shooting it. That's bowfishing. I know ppl who are having similar all be it larger mirrored carp mounted that aren't colored like mine. I guess my question is what would be the best method to mount this fish? I can do the finish painting.... who's interested and what method would you use and why.... sell me on it.... in this instance I'm a customer....

8. [​IMG]

9. [​IMG]

10. [​IMG]

11. FishArt

If I were you I'd recommend purchasing a blank with similar dimensions and going that route. Unless you want to spend about twice as much or more on a custom mold. Then you'll have all that repair work Dondi spoke of too. Personally, like Cecil I too would not accept it for a skin mount. I think your best option might be to freeze it an do it all yourself when you're ready. JMO...

12. Timjo

Timjo Active Member

USA
    Don't be discouraged by ceci'ls comment as he now lives in the twilight zone.

Defiantly a fish worth molding, you collected it and are obviously excited about it. Google "molding fish", find Josh's video, learn how to do it and give it a try. Superglue any splits in the fins together and fill the arrow holes before molding. After molding, like Dondi suggested, tool the mold by grinding and smoothing out any touch-up flaws.

It's a kio fish variation for sure. Cool colors!

13. Could be wrong but looks like a variation of linear Koi. I have this mirror carp I'm about to mold. I will fill the holes with clay and then make a bondo mold.

Attached Files:

14. Thank you.... is there such a blank with the large mirror scales? Its uniqueness is what makes it. I'm not a broke taxidermist and oddly enough I love a challenge when I'm presented a job. Maybe that's different. I take bobcats in pieces from 300 mags. Charge my time and don't mind it. I understand good work on hard specimens takes time and money...I'm 12-18 months out now. But I make good money and am understanding in difficult specimens....

That being said I'm honest with the outcome of flaws to my customer but I don't recall saying I'm not interested or giving them options unless it's impossible. I know this is not. I guess I should say I've casted things before and know how to repair imperfections in a cast.

I was just looking for hirer end work not just anyone willing to try it but someone who likes a challenge and creating beautiful art.

Thanks for the encouraging and educated replies.. I'll find someone up to it and maybe they will let me help in the process.

15. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

If I were you I'd recommend purchasing a blank with similar dimensions and going that route. Unless you want to spend about twice as much or more on a custom mold. Then you'll have all that repair work Dondi spoke of too. Personally, like Cecil I too would not accept it for a skin mount. I think your best option might be to freeze it an do it all yourself when you're ready. JMO...
    [/quote]

I would go with a similar blank as well and paint to match your fish. It's all about the paint job with a carp like that.

16. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

;D

17. FishArt

A non-fully scaled Mirror Carp looks a bit closer to this fish vs. the fully scaled pic. But, the more I look at it your fish's colors, I too believe it is out of the realm of colors I've seen Mirror Carp within. I think some others are correct. It's most likely some Koi variation. Which means even fewer blanks available so a custom mold (and or skin mount) are probably your only options anyway. And given your new info that you have some experience casting then by all means I would mold it myself if I were you. (You sound like you're OCD about your work like some of us, ;) so I would bet this wouldn't be that difficult for you to mold) And, much more rewarding and you have total control. As far as "doing something higher", I'm not sure what you mean DSC?

P.S. Too bad JoshK doesn't chime in. He could probably tell you with probable certainty what exactly you have. He amazes me sometimes with his ability to see various species in a hybrid!

18. den007

den007 Active Member

You can have the best of both worlds. I have done a few bow-shot carp and fixing holes in large scaled fish is easy! That is what God made epoxy sculpt for, right? I does not appear to be a huge fish. You could mold the front in silicone, back in bondo or even plaster. Then refreeze it, and try a skin mount once you tighten scales and skin with a bit of alum(tightens skin and scales.) I bet you can pull it off nicely........share the results. Not all of us who detest Trumpfuehrer are in the twighlight zone........neither is Cecil.

19. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

Way cool! I'm traveling to Louisiana and at the airport but shoot me an email and we can look at a good time for a conversation.

Rick Krane

[email protected]

20. I guess what I meant by higher was in the instance of trying to find something close due to cost. Meaning if it's not going to have the same large scale pattern, size, etc I'm the kinda person that would say what's the point. I get that replicas have a place compared to skin mounts but if it's not going to be my fish I still want it to be MY fish not something close enough. So had I rather go cheap and have something close or spend more and have at least a copy of my fish I'll go higher or not do it at all.

I'm fairly anal about details in that way.. lol