1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Help on a cool rare trophy

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by DogSoldierChick, Apr 26, 2017.

1. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Get hold of Joe Kulis and have him freezdry it then go from there with any repairs and paint. JL

2. Timjo

Timjo Active Member

USA
    From everything you said, DSChick your best results are going to be a custom cast. Either mold & cast yourself or have someone mold and cast it for you.

The large scale placement with the cool colors is the draw for me on your rogue Koi, and that's what it is, a rouge Koi. It doesn't look very large so it would be an easy specimen to mold. I would do it as soon as possible to render the best results.

3. hambone

hambone Well-Known Member

I have done small size skin mount common carp but never a mirror carp, I was wondering how those large scales would hold up, anyone done a skin mount of these. It sounds to me like she would rather have her own fish, and I can understand that, anyway good luck.

4. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

After checking on some of the more prized varieties of koi, yours most resemble the Kikokuryu, which is described as "a scaleless (doitsu) koi variety with a white base combined with areas of black inside of the single row of large scales, along the back around the scales, and around the eyes and nose." Of course this describes the thousand dollar collector fish, not the pond bred knock-offs that get dumped in the local pond when they get too big for the backyard pond!

Cast it yourself! You will learn a new skill. Rebuild the damaged areas, and seek advice from Josh Knuth on how to paint it. You said you never back off from a challenge, here you go! Use Joshs' videos on how to mold and cast, it will turn out great. Just be careful of undercuts!

~S

Attached Files:

5. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I'd post you're picture on the Koiphen website (Koi enthusiasts) to see what they think if it, but the fact that it's not swimming happily in water would probably have me banned for life! LOL

6. JHardman

JHardman Member

Wyoming
    Wow, that is cool project for sure. As others have said I would probably mold and cast that specimen rather than settling for a production blank. Some things to consider when doing so:
    You may consider molding with tin cured silicone as a bit of leakage from the damaged areas won't affect the silicone like it would resin.
    If using a silicone product be certain to use a mold release that is compatible I prefer 'Mann 200". the silicone will not damage the fish at all. I am able to mold and cast fish this way and still skin mount using the mold to cast a foam blank for the skin mount. When molding with silicone I typically will mold the fish frozen, it is easier to mold a rigid object. with both sides of the silicone mold poured will then pour a bondo mold jacket to support the silicone.
    Just some things to think about hope this is helpful. I posted a bluegill in "the month in fish pictures thread" that was molded as described above.

7. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I was amazed at how much some of these "collector fish" are worth when alive. As previously mentioned, I've done a couple Asian Arowana's for a client from a single custom mold that Josh did for me. I dove into researching these things when I did the first one and come to find out the big, bright, colorful ones can go for $30,000 or $40,000!!!! Crazy...

8. Thank you all! I've received several offers and tons of advice. I'm going to weigh my options and I'll keep everyone posted on the project!!

9. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I have skinned out carp. You have to be careful skinning them.

10. topnotch

topnotch Member

This fish is awesome,

call me if i can help you out
    i have a new line of replicas coming out

World Class Replicas

i also have a patent pending new technology for replicas that would work excellent on your fish

tyler

605-691-1145