1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question on Eyes....

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by RichMO, Apr 27, 2017.

1. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

Just trying to get an opinion on European eyes.... All of the supply houses sell them but is there a difference in them... for example on pheasant eyes... is there a difference in shape, and or color? I've got a couple of birds to do possibly for competition and everyone seems to use European eyes so what is the difference? Thanks

2. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

They look better from all angles - none of that glassy look if you see them from the edge - and the blended colors appear softer and more lifelike than most glass eyes.
    They need to be handled carefully because they will scratch easily, and don't get lacquer thinner or acetone on them. They can be ruined in a split second. Some pairs will resist it, some won't, but you can't tell them apart so don't take a chance. Alcohol seems to be okay.

3. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

arent most eyes...both glass and plastic...made in europe?

4. Rich, check out this very inexpensive alternative http://taxidermy.by/

I'd like to say I have used them, but I can only say that I've ordered them, and have yet to receive them, but have heard nothing negative about their bird eyes. The price will be hard to beat, the quality looks as good as eyeconic eyes, and they are about a 1/3rd the price as eyeconic eyes, and waaaaay cheaper than euro eyes or Tohickon.

5. idbatman

idbatman Active Member

Rich Euroeye and Eyeconic eyes are nice comp eyes . But like Nancy said be careful with them. But if you have an issue Cleaner for Wildlife colors will take most paints and caulk off them . It doesn't hurt the finish at all . If you do get a scratch or blemish lay the bird on its side ( eye flat and level) and put a little drop of Pledge Acrylic floor polish on it. It disappears . The only other thing I would recommend is: order several pairs and match them up by color and pupil size. Sometimes it makes a difference especially on the lighter colors.