1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The Hall of Fame? (TR - Vol. V No. 60)

Discussion in 'Taxidermy History' started by John Janelli, Apr 28, 2017.

1. John Janelli

John Janelli New Member

N.J.
    Cujusque Rei Potissima Pars Est
    The chiefest part of everything is the beginning

The following was reprinted for the educational aspects of what the topic and its history so eloquently represent. It was published in the June 1977 issue of Taxidermy Review Magazine for your reading pleasure with full compliments and of course full consent of Mr. Joe Kish, via yours truly, John Janelli

Somewhere in the lifespan of human endeavors there comes a time when the value of their contributions come to be assessed. With this assessment an evolution is wrought. That which is of no further use ceases to exist, but whatever the fate, institutions and even the arts become altered. This is the way of human experience. Man does not live without comparing himself to the universe. Comparisons and subsequent judgments are a part of every man's identity. It would be most difficult to remain viable in today's society without comparative and judgmental faculties which permit us to select those things which characterize our nature and imbue our culture with it's particular values. Selections compromised by lack of knowledge, the absence of objective criteria for comparison, or the fear of discriminatory judgments serve only to impede our development if they are permitted to become the norm.
    The [a taxidermy organization] recently installed 18 worthies into its hall of fame under a list of requirements that do not require that the candidates contributions to taxidermy be judged, at least not by any meaningful definition of the word. Nor does this list include some of the best taxidermy artists of our time. While we do not question the motivation that brought the hall of fame into existence we cannot endorse such a hasty ill-conceived first act that is without precedent within any similar institutions. Although the intentions were good, this action nonetheless seriously compromises the potential value of the hall of fame to the taxidermy industry and art.
    A "hall of fame" predicated on death denies the value of the living. A "hall of fame" relegated to voluntary contributions approaches the "The Goodwill Store" in concept, and a "hall of fame" endorsing longevity in practice as opposed to quality and knowledge in accomplishment will itself be short lived. Unless the hall of fame committee develops a serious list of requirements for its candidates, it cannot hope to establish worthwhile institution or even elicit the serious interest of the taxidermy community.

2. Would Bass Pro shops be willing to take this on?

JJ if you think back, I had talked with BPS about sponsoring this and putting a plaque in BPS near what is the NRA hall now.

3. John Janelli

John Janelli New Member

N.J.
    I remember that very well, but it's too late now John. The Hall of Fame as we knew it has been sold or taken over by a whole new slate of people. Someday I'll tell you the story, it's just bad timing now. On a better note, my family and I did make a power point program featuring the life and times of dozens of past hall of famers. Loaded with never before seen photos, mounts and documentaries of all if not most of the all time greats. It's tough being the youngest old timer, LOL!