1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hide Paste Headaches! Please Help!

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Bluenose Moose, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Ok, I have no supplier for Dynamite 111 or Romans 555 in my area.

Any ideas for a different brand with comparable results?

I can get dextrose but not dextrin. Can I use either one with the same result?

2. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Some people don't even use paste and any good wallpaper paste will work. Don't get into a fright to use something other than what you read here. Paste is paste...some better than others but they will all work.You can even use tubed caulking.....the cheap white stuff that comes in a tube. Apply it in an even coat all over the manikin and pull the skin on and mount. I actually like the caulk better than the glue. Experiment with different products and choose the best one for you. Good luck JL

nbtax and msestak like this.

3. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

I like JL's idea of using latex caulk for hide paste! Went to a seminar that Brian Hendricks did on bobcat mounting latex caulk was all he uses! easy to sue and you can put it under the skin and move it around until it's smooth. works great around the head, and it drys fairly quick as the hide dries. I use the cheap latex caulk from Walmart, Brian made one comment to be sure and get the latex only caulk as there is one that has silicone and it will not hold as well and the pure latex. Lowe's has it by the case for a good price.

4. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

I used Sure Stick 111 in the 90's before it changed to Dynomite 111...... now all I use is Pro 1 hide paste.

:)

Kerby...

silverwings, woakley144 and GWebb like this.
  5. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

I use Derma-grip on my deer, and the latex caulk on my small animals..... Second to Nature still carries the Derma-grip hide paste.

6. Lance.G

Lance.G Active Member

pro 1 is my favorite.

silverwings and Kerby Ross like this.
  7. BowDeadly

BowDeadly "LIFE IS GREAT" It's better with a bow

amazon, free shipping and most times in two days, check them out.

D.Price and George like this.
  8. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Stick It. James Taxidermy Supply.

Awesome Stuff

jkmitch likes this.
  9. lrc1492

lrc1492 Member

I went to Pro-1 and very glad I did.

silverwings and Kerby Ross like this.
  10. 11th hour

11th hour Member

I spent almost $200 for five gallons of pro 1 last year with $40 shipping. Was able to get 37 deer out of it and I go pretty heavy with the glue. That comes out to like $5.40 per deer. Well worth it. Will never look back.

11. Jim Taxidermist

Jim Taxidermist Active Member

Hi, yes use Mckenzie hide paste thats what i use very good stuff.

rigbobby likes this.
  12. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

Pro one works great.

silverwings likes this.
  13. Jim Taxidermist

Jim Taxidermist Active Member

Hi, i have been looking for Derma grip where can i get it from very good glue ?

14. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

I was getting it from Second 2 Nature, but they quit handling it.

15. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

A simple Google search came up with Derma grip website and Matuska Taxidermy Supply Company. I seem to remember that another company recently began to sell it as well.

16. nemo

nemo Member

Buy it directly from derma grip. 4 gallons approximately $130. Dermagrip.com

17. creepers

creepers natural history preparator

No dextrin is what you are looking for, dextrose is used in beer to make it taste smooth

18. creepers

19. creepers

Dextrose is used in beer for smoothness, yellow dextrin is what you can use for hide paste

20. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I use Dynamite with McKenzie dry hide paste mixed in. For some applications I use Pro 1. I like Pro 1 better, but it's super expensive and I can't afford to use it as an everyday glue. They charge more to ship it to me than the glue actually costs. Great glue though.