1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

african porcupine

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by akmike, May 2, 2017.

1. akmike

akmike Member

I have a client that wants his African porcupine mounted but I'm hearing that it is at best a 50/50 chance on it making it thru the tanning process .I would appreciate any advice on who or how to get it tanned with the best chance of it making it thru the tanning process.

thanks mike

2. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

Hi AKMIKE!

Make sure you flesh it from the Tail area towards the Head - not the opposite! You will not want to dislodge the Spines, and this will solve that problem. I'd Salt the skin after it was fleshed, just to remove any excess moisture and set the Quills, and leave it for 3 days! Then I'd rinse it and place it in a Pickle to keep it safe as you finish preparing it! After 3 days, if needed,you can shave it if needed, you can also degrease it - but always after Shaving or Degreasing return it to the Pickle to reacidify overnight. Let it Pickle for at least 3 days or more - before you Shave or Degrease.. Then take it out, rinse it, let it drain for 30-40 minutes, prep the mouth, ears and eye areas, then use a Paint-On Tan to finish it before mounting it. I would not try to drum or work the skin dry - simply Mount like you would a Wet Tan!

If you need any more answers - contact me!

Bruce Rittel

There are a lot of Paint on tans available that should do the job! TASCO sells my former KNE-10 Paint On Tan and there are many others!

If you decide on TASCO - they have a toll free number at (866)296-2782. They can help you out!

3. akmike

akmike Member

thanks