1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

TanNed hide refrigerator life.

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by nitt, May 3, 2017.

1. nitt

nitt Member

Not to test the longevity of a possible problem but, if you put a tanned hide in a refrigerator that is cooling properly how long could one leave it in there?Some say u wouldn't be able to leave it in there over a weekend without it slipping in my opinon if it's tanned it should easily be able to make it a day or so, in a fridge a week for sure,two weeks prob should have got to work, three weeks you prob forgot about it?? Thoughts anyone???

2. I wouldn't go any longer than a week, if you are going to leave it any longer than that just put it in the freezer. I think 2 or 3 weeks in the fridge you are asking for trouble. I am sure you might get away with it a few times, but I don't think the risk is worth it.

3. Glenn M

Glenn M Well-Known Member

I agree with Simms. Although If it is tanned properly and not soggy wet but just damp ,it should last for months in fridge, but it might get a musty smell or moldy. If a hide starts slipping or starts smelling bad from just a week or two in a fridge it was not tanned but actually still raw, that is if it was put in just damp. You can have a good tanned hide and if you put it in a bag while it is still real soggy wet and put it in the fridge the epidermis could start slipping in just a few days, but the same hide hide put in a bag just damp would be ok.

I have let Carolina Tanned skins in the refrigerator for months without any problems. I have only done that with my own skins or extras i should say.

The best advice is to freeze it instead of letting it sit in a refrigerator though .

4. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

I agree with Simms and Glen! After a day in the Frig, I would freeze it in a Freezer - just to be sure. Also - when its in either the Frig or you're Freezing it, make sure it's folded not ROLLED! If you roll it there's no way for the Water to drain out of it! If it contains a lot of excess Water still in the fur, and it's rolled, the Water could start weakening the epidermis where your fur is!