1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

FISH TRAVELS

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by EA, May 11, 2017.

1. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Thought you Fishies might find this interesting.

2 weeks ago I fished a tournament on the Potomac River and caught a tagged bass. It was approx. 18in and weighed almost 4lb.
    The tag had a phone # and a Tag number to report the catch.

The letter explains the details.

[​IMG]

So it was caught at least once before and what I found surprising is that it traveled 5 miles of river to where I caught it again. Not only did it travel 5 miles, but it did it in 36 days.
    I'm curious as to where it was caught in the ABA tournament. Was it returning to it's home range? If thats the case, How do they know where their home range is when they traveled from it by boat? So many questions ;D

I left the tag in for the next guy. They sent me a nice certificate and a hat pin too.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. reprofish

reprofish Member

Thanks for posting. Very Cool

3. That is crazy! People always say fish the weigh in spots that's where they let all the fish go after the tournament. Well they obviously don't stay there. Cool post!

4. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

Really cool story thanks for sharing !
    Tommy....

5. Brian

Brian Active Member

X2 awesome

6. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Glad some liked it.

Jwhargro, I fished a small club tournament a couple weeks ago. Tough day and I needed 2 more to fill my limit. I stopped by a launch where I knew there was a recent tournament and pick up 2 fish right away.
    There is some truth to fishing release areas. Thats why some multi day tournaments put the release areas off limits. Some will bite the next day. I won the tournament BTW.

I caught a walleye twice in the same day. I knew it was the same fish because it has unique markings and I clipped a fin (just a corner) AND it had my hook hole in its mouth. I guess it was about an hour and a half between catches. LOL.

I'm going to contact MD fish and game and see if they will let me know if that fish is caught again. I'd be interested to see how often they get feedback or if its mostly 1 and done. There could be a 100 explanations on how that bass ended up 5 miles away. I thought maybe someone might have caught it elsewhere and culled it there, but to toss a 4lber means they had an awesome bag. Possible, but not likely.

I was under the impression if you released a bass, it would find a soft spot and relax. Food, Habitat, Water Conditions were all available right where they left it loose. No need to travel unless it followed the bait.

Who knows. I thought it was cool tho. Some of those Great Whites travel the world. Maybe bass do too. ;)

PS. Got one 6.11 lb there this weekend. Good enough for the Lunker pot and enough $$$ to pay all the entry fees for the yr. Now I'm even......except for gas, food, lures, tackle, wear and tear on my truck, time off work, etc, but when the wife asks...I'm even. :)

7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    EA, I'll back you with the wife, you're even. About you saying you caught the same walleye twice, I have a similar story. We were ice fishing on Lake of the Woods I caught a 11" walleye and left the shiner sticking out of it's mouth, put it down my hole and watched it swim down on the electronics and bite my other line, I reeled it up and it had both my shiners in it's mouth. That was one hungry little walleye, I normally let them go that small but he seemed destined for the pan, so in the bucket he went.

8. Flintlock

Flintlock New Member

That is pretty cool! I read in infiaherman where they had tagged "shoal bass" (looked like smallmouth some) down south in a river system that traveled 100 miles! Never would have guessed more than a few.

Congrats