1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Where are the brook trout?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Perca, May 15, 2017.

1. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

I was searching the fish reference section for brook trout and didn't see them anywhere. Nothing under "B" for brook trout and when I scrolled way down under "trout" it skipped from Apache trout to Brown trout.....no brook trout. What are brook trout reference pictures posted under? Thanks for any replies.

2. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Charr

3. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply and call Paul. I should have known to look there....but. ???

4. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Any particular part of a brook trout you need to see? I have some good close up reference photos I could post.

5. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

I was looking for the eye. It's been quite a while since I did a brookie, but I think I used flex eyes in the largemouth bass color. Most of the reference photos are of dead brookies.....not dead long perhaps but on dead brook trout the iris looks MUCH lighter (almost yellow) than that of a living brook trout. If you have any advice on the eye color I should use, I'm all ears. Make that all eyes. ;D

6. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I've used both all purpose trout and lmb Flex Eyes for brook trout. But then I'm not that OCD about fish eyes and my customers are clueless anyway.

Tried the painting of eyes and didn't think it was worth the effort for commercial work.

8. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I've been using LMBass eyes for quite while.....no one has ever said anything bad about them. I agree that extremely few people would know the difference. True, painting a flint eye is more expensive valuing your time, but painting a dozen of the same kind and size is cost effective. Good luck. JL

9. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Perhaps but I just would rather have the eye there and install it.

10. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

I
    I totally agree. I keep an assortment of Den's eyes on hand. High quality and price is right. Customers like them too.