1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Blacktail Form

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by muddobber, May 17, 2017.

1. I have my first blacktail to mount and was wondering what is a good form to use? I'm looking for quality not cheap. The deer is from Alaska also. I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

It does make a difference. Most forms are for Columbia black tailed deer. Yours, coming from Alaska, is a Sitka black tailed deer. The only form that I am aware of for them is in the McKenzie catalog. I use Research Mannikins for Columbian Black tails. You may be able to alter a Columbian black tail form.

3. Terry Bennett

Terry Bennett Active Member

Idaho
    The Mckenzie Sitka BT form is a good form, but is usually too small for most of the bucks I have mounted. You can alter the size if it isn't too much bigger. The last Sitka I mounted was a very large bodied deer ( according to the client it ranks #3 in B&C) I altered Research Columbia Black tail form sculpted by Bill Lancaster. The alterations were minimal. Jonas has a few that I have used in the past as well if I remember correctly I had to make a few alterations to them as well

4. Thank y'all for the feedback.