1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

1st fish mount. Please Critique!!!!

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Jwhargro, May 18, 2017.

1. I need some advice or corrective criticism!!!!! Thought I would ask the Professionals! My 1st fish 2 lb. spotted bass on largemouth form (all I could get at the time). I'm pretty sure the mouth is opened way to much. Tell me what else you notice, I can take it!! Thanks guys[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I'm sure you already know that your color scheme is a bit off. There's too much brown values and too little green values. One thing that's a personal taboo for me is the mouth. A bass simply doesn't open it's mouth that wide naturally. When you "lip" a bass after catching it, it will open that much but as you can easily see, it paralyzes the fish. The fins are a bit too opaque to my liking and certainly too perfect. Next time, card your fins. After they dry, use a clear sealer and camera lens cleaning paper to back your fins. Apply several coats of sealer. When dry, take a butane lighter and light the edges. Squelch the flames before they burn into the boney fins and quickly brush them with a fine wire brush. This will thin the edges and give that uniform ragged edge that fish fins usually have. As you see in your picture, the fins are seldom perfect (though I'd cover that split as you did). And though I'm no expert, I see that you need epoxy work around the eye orbit area.

3. Bob Mead

Bob Mead Mead Taxidermy Studio, LLC

Maybe it's just the pic, but it looks like a fiberglass replica to me...?

4. JHardman

JHardman Active Member

Listen to Mr. Roof he's been around this block a long time and has given you some good advice. The fact that someone says it looks like a replica should be taken as a compliment; that means the anatomy of the mount is a lot better than most first's. Obviously as previously mentioned the mouth is open much to far to look natural, another thing you should probably consider changing on the next one would be the trailing edges of you fins, for example the Anal fin should lay closer to the body at the trailing edge. Same with the dorsal, even when the dorsal fin is fully expanded the trailing edge(that is the edge along the body) should still be laying along the body. This will greatly improve the appearance of your work! Nice work by the way! There is no way I'd post up my first fish, but then again id didn't look even close to that good.

5. Too much paint! Less is more!

6. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

2 little paint, more is more. Also, needs more brown values.

Best, Scott

7. Thanks guys! I'm a work in progress!!!! Will take all the advice I can get!

8. Pinning or carding the back edge of your fins closer to the body makes a world of difference on the looks of a Bass mount also.