1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

2nd fish! Any better than 1st?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Jwhargro, May 18, 2017.

1. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I think the lower markings look good now. However, you now can see another problem that I thought might come into play and that is your "line" markings down the middle need to be enhanced. If you look closely at your reference fish pic the "line" of markings is as dark or actually a tad darker than the last lower markings adjacent to it. Your lower markings have a little black in them now - which they should, but now it exposes the brown markings of that mid section "line". It too needs to be darkened a bit. Now that being said - go easy here because this fish is SO subtle in it's colors that it could easily be over done. Just bring those markings to match the color or slightly darker than your lower markings. No more and I think you then will have a solid foundation of colors to then maybe add some details - like those gold tips in the upper back! P.S. While you're enhancing that line a bit, I would cheat a tiny smidgen lower than your last couple of spots towards the head. Ac tually, he second, third and fourth spot from the head I would cheat here and add a little black on those existing spots a little lower. I'M TALKING A VERY SMALL AMOUNT. I believe the last spot going into the juncture looks pretty good, but those few before it COULD go down a hair. OR, fade it out like your reference (I personally think your reference pic the fish has already lost some of it's color. That's why I say a little more color ain't a bad thing) JMO...

2. I don't know if I need to start over or what! I feel like this doesn't look to good!!!! Don't know, this is all new to me. [​IMG]

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    What I see is that your fish is lacking some pearls or irridesence. Look at the photos of live fish you posted. I see gold irridesence on the back and pearls on the belly area. On the back I think most achieve that look by scale tipping but on the belly I would use white pearl before and lighter after the spots. It helps to blend them some and not make them stand out so strong.

4. 10-4. I will give it a go. Once again thanks for all the help guys.

5. FishArt

Throw some light secondary markings above the lateral line and into the back as well. Then finish as myself and 3Bears described in previous posts . These upper secondary markings will mostly go away after tipping the gold tops, but they will show just enough to help pull off the rest of your markings and bring everything together from the top down. Then sprayed white pearl ties everything together from the bottom up. Before you do that though I'd touch up the whites. Especially hitting most of the pinks and toning those down a bit before also hitting those with white pearl. I like adding pinks for fleshy areas too, but this can easily be overdone and you're best off going less vs. more when in doubt. Yours are a bit heavy in the jaw area I think and in the hoo-hoo. Most don't want the hoo hoo accented too much...

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Hint on the pink tones, I use chalk on a brush to add the value that appeals to me and or matches my reference. If I go too heavy I just brush some off, once it looks like I want, I seal it with clear lacquer.

7. For a 1st and 2nd fish, you are way ahead of most people just starting out and some that have been at it for awhile! Most people starting out (including me) droop the head, crank the mouth open too wide, and flag the fins. Looks like you have a good eye for detail. Keep it up and post your progress!

8. I know it's not perfect but I have an idea on what to improve on with the next fish I do. [​IMG]

9. FishArt

Still could add some more colors to the fins if you wanted to. Look at your reference. You went a little strong towards the tail with the golds, but much improved overall I think. The whole fish overall looks much better! Good job!

10. JHardman

JHardman Active Member

I think over all your fish work is looking great for your first couple of fish. Really study some reference material, focus some attention on eyes, how the move and where they are set in relation to the what is happening in the scene you are presenting. Another area to study is fin placement; that is how and where the fins move naturally. You obviously have an eye details and composition so why not sell the whole presentation? A good looking eye set and proper anatomy with an average paint job will look more natural than fantastic paintwork with poor anatomy. As a taxidermist I want to portray some scene or capture a moment of reality with each piece not just preserve a fish's skin ;). Your work is already pretty good don't stop there.

11. Think I'm gonna incorporate a spinnerbait on top fish but this is finish product. Y'all think asking $300 for this mount is enough or not? [​IMG]

12. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Is you reference showing a lateral spot line (the one that looks like diamonds) that looks like that? I've never seen one like that.

Not being critical. Just asking.

13. No it didn't. I will break them up.

14. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

eye set , if you tip the eye and lower pupil in eye opening it will also help, start looking at every thing

15. Finished up today. What ya'll think? For 2nd & 3rd fish I don't think it's to bad!
    [​IMG]

16. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

you have learned well grasshopper, seems like you want to learn, the live fish will tell you every thing,keep it up

17. Hahahaha!!! Thanks!

18. Your asking $300 for the whole thing? 2 bass, driftwood, and spinnerbait. How much time do you have in this piece? I've seen work no where near as good as this and they would at least get $225-250 or more for each fish plus driftwood and spinnerbait.

19. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    NO

20. Denton Shearin

Denton Shearin 2009-Breakthrough Award, McKenzie Award,

Dorsal and anal fins need a more natural shape. You don't have to spread them out to their maximum, try for a more rounded, streamlined look. Pelvic fins,too, I like it when they are close to the body and more stremlined.

The flesh color accents can make a fish mount. Your first 2 hardly had any and I don't know if it's the picture on this one or not, but the color does not look right to me. Maybe just a little over done on the head of this one. I like to make the tail more translucent and give it some fleshy accent as well.

Overall, amazing work for your first few fish. I predict you have a bright future in taxidermy. Good luck.