1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Any tricks for fixing this?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by david301, May 19, 2017.

1. Got some frayed feather ends on lower neck, Any tricks to take care of this it looks like hell. Double washed the turkey in dawn and double rinsed and tumbled in cob grit with no baffles.

Attached Files:

2. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Did you gas it?

3. no but I should have, I usually do all my birds but been trying a few things here and there after reading other posts. Do you think i can squirt some on the feathers individually and get them straightened out? I tried a little laquer thinner on my fingers and tried to straighten one out but really didnt do much.
  4. BrookeSFD16

I don't do many Turkey, but pretty much everyone says you gotta gas them. Even the diehard no gas waterfowl guys. I don't gas ducks, or pheasant, but the last Turkey I did (over a year ago) I gassed. Did it outside and then hung it up outside and got it 90% dry before I brought it in the shop. There are some great Turkey guys here, hopefully one will chime in.
  5. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

Several guys at the state show asked if I had my turkeys. I never had any of my birds. Once the bird is dry do you smell the gas on the bird at all. Why would gasing turkeys be better?
  6. dmac1175

dmac1175 Member

I have mounted a lot of turkeys and have had one do that to me. It was over most of the bird. I have no idea what made it do it either. I didn't see any hope of fixing it so I ended up just ripping the skin off the body and pitching it in the trash. I remounted with different cape. I know that doesn't help you much but I don't have an answer.
  7. Im gonna try everything. Will let you know if I find something that works
  8. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Gas will do nothing to fix that. They appear to be damaged. I would be surprised if anything fixed it.

BTW, I've mounted plenty of turkeys without gas with no issues.
  9. BrookeSFD16

I'm glad to hear I don't have to gas Turkey! I only got 2 this year, but that'll make it way better.
  10. I used gas once. I have done many birds after that and I see no difference in the end result.

I had the same thing happen to me on one turkey. I couldn't fix it. I tried everything I could think off.
  11. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I don't gas turkeys.
  12. I know you said you double rinsed.
    But that is soap residue in the feathers. Rinse that area really well again and dry. Repeat if nessary.

All the gas in the ground wont fix that.
    And I gas turkeys!
  13. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Agreed that double rinsing isn't sufficient. Birds needs to be soaked in rinse water for 15-30 minutes. Pour it off, drain bird, then immerse in fresh water. I do this 6-8 times on all birds. Spraying off will not work. They need to be totally immersed. I have several Rubbermaid totes that I use to expedite this process. It takes half a day, but I do multiple birds.
  14. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

gas is a thing of the past. soak all birds in odorless mineral sprits. same result as the gas without the danger. soaking turkeys is no problem either. soak the wings by themselves, then the body.
  15. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Active Member

I also believe it's soap residue..

I don't gas my turkeys and I don't have that issue..

I ring my birds out over and over under running water until no suds...

If it's not grease, it's soap.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
  16. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Most likely cause is that the bird was beaten up in the tumbler. You say you didn't use "baffles"? That's the first culprit I'd look at. The second is drumming them with broken wings/bones or leaving the tail attached.
  17. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

That problem is due to the feathers not being clean.
    It's either soap residue, as some previous posters have mentioned, or it's a place where some blood or tissue fluid soaked the feathers and wasn't completely removed.

There is no solvent or treatment made that can fix that. Depending on how you mounted the bird, you *MIGHT* be able to carefully cut out that section of skin, rewash it thoroughly, and then put it back with pins and caulking. However, if it's already anchored down with caulking you would be better off leaving it as is.
  18. Thanks guys but I finally got it most of the way fixed. Went and bought a handheld steamer and put some steam to it then lightly brushed and sprayed it with air nossle. Looks tons better will post a pic soon. George my tumbler turns pretty slow, Tail and feet removed from the turkey.
  19. Birds Only

Birds Only New Member

Nancy is spot on with her response. All I do is turkey, no gas, no tumbling, no DAWN on any turkey I mount.
  20. Birds Only, will you share what you use to wash your turkeys with? Dawn is the only thing I have known, so learning something new would be nice.