1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Starting colony over

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by hairy perch, May 22, 2017.

1. Ok I give up after fighting the red legged hams for well over 8 months I am going to start both colonies over again. I want to save some of the good beetles and if possible their larvae. My question is how do I tell the difference between the red legged ham larvae and the dermistid larvae. Got my bug room all set up and after separating the good ones I plan on fogging and bombing the entire room and both freezer doors open. I am planning on starting 3 colonies in 3 chest freezers already set up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Googled red legged ham larvae and dermistid larvae and can't tell them apart to much except the red legged hams seem to be a pinkish color compared to the dull brown to grey look of the dermisteds

3. PA

PA Well-Known Member

I have never had a red-legged ham beetle problem in my colonies, but the couple times I had too many mites (32 years ago, and about 15 years ago) and I solved the problem by transferring only adult beetles. Pull out every adult from the colonies and put in the new containers. Every two weeks, go through and get more adults. Eventually you will have a new clean colony and then you can kill off the infected colonies.

4. I've been fighting them little devils over a year now problem is if they are in your colony odds are they are in the surrounding area as well. You will need to start a colony in a completely different location then spray, dust, fog what ever you have to do to sterilize the entire area before moving the colony back or within a year I bet your back to where you are now

5. Just got done removing the 2 infected freezers to outside. Bombed the hell out of the room and bombed the freezers before removing the bugs and debris and twice after removing everything. Now getting ready to wipe everything down with ammonia water and going to leave them set outside for a least a few days before even thinking of returning them to the bug house