1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Is "Stop Rot" the same thing as "Stop Slip"?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by 22Fathoms, Oct 15, 2006.

1. 22Fathoms

22Fathoms Member

Utah
    Thanks for the help.

2. bill@hogheaven

bill@hogheaven New Member

no.

3. Jims Wildlife Studio

Jims Wildlife Studio Full Time PA Taxidermist

no Like bill said, Absolutely 2 different product's.

4. Big Stein

Big Stein New Member

TN
    Stop rot does what it says and stops or slows down the process of decomposition, stop slip just takes hair that is loose and bonds them to stronger hairs to keep them from falling out or something like that.

5. Stop slip does that? That doesn't sound right. I have used stop slip and I did not notice hair bonding.

Stop Rot stops the hide from losing hair, ancient chinese secret known only to Glen Conley.

6. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

gary conley got the secret from tibetan monks

7. Jims Wildlife Studio

Big Stein, With my experience with stop slip that is not the definition I would use. First of all Stop Rot and Stop Slip are not a miracle chemical's. If that skin is not taken care of from the minute that it is dead you may have a problem. The use of stop rot was explained by Big Stein, but that does not mean the skin will not slip. And stop slip when used will help tighten up the hair's in the cape, yes but the area that is going to slip will slip until it is done. You could end up with a softball size bald spot. When finished the hair's do not bond to anything. Just trying to clear this up.

8. Big Stein

Big Stein New Member

TN
    Okay kill me, no sorry for posting that. I think I read that in the Old Forums archives but if you don't take care of a skin properly I don't care what you use sometimes you will have problems. I have seen stop rot work some miracles.

9. Glen Conley

Glen Conley KARMA GOOSE R.I.P. 2006-2006

Mr. Checho, this is the second thread in which I've noticed your mention of STOP-ROT, with the one prior having similar overtones.

If you have had negative expereinces with the product, how about sharing this expereince/s with all of us here? Include all details.

Thank you.
    Glen Conley

10. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

stop slip,, dries in 24 hours to a crusty glue. If there is loose hair still in the epidermis that will fall out to the touch, stop slip will glue it in over 24 hours. It dries hard like hair spray. A last attempt to save the mount, but leaves the hair stiff and crusty.
    Use the Stop Rot up front when fleshing, and you will not need stop slip.

11. Jims Wildlife Studio

Glen, I was simply making a point from one taxidermist to the next. If some one wants to post some advice or what a certain product actually does make sure you know what the product does. Also let it known if it is going to slip it's going to slip. The overtones that you have mentioned is the point I am stressing.( Depending on how the skin has been cared for prior to taxidermy prep,The Skin Still may slip no matter what you use, I Never posted that I had any negative experiences with either product.) No hard feeling's BigStein and I hope I straighten my answer out for Glen

12. Big Stein

Big Stein New Member

TN
    If anybody should apologize it's me because I shouldn't have posted that not knowing if it is 100% correct.

13. Wildchild 69

Wildchild 69 Trust Me!!!

Glen is not the type to plug his own pruduct so I'll do it! ;) Any questions you have about Stop Rot can be answered at his website which is www.hidetanning.net Glen truly is the "mad scientist" of fur and knows his stuff. He definately ranks up there with the very BEST in the industry. Just for the record, I have Stop Rot and Hard Tissue Tonic in my studio and continue to try different stuff as the opportunity arises

14. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

What Jeff said. LOL

All I know is that I've had hides that SHOULD have slipped, fell apart, whatever, that I have NO doubt were saved because of Stop Rot. I'm sure there are cases where decomposition has set in beyond even Stop Rot's capabilities. I will not be without it in my shop.

15. I keep a bottle close on hand, but Jim is right. If the hide is losing epidermis and the hair roots have released, nothing will save it from slipping. At least, I think that is the point Jim is making. I have tried saving slipped areas with Stop rot and it didn't work. It is not a magic potion, but it works great as preventative measure on hides that are suspect. I for one will keep using it. Just have to know that it has its limitations and what applications will yield the best results with it.

16. Jims Wildlife Studio

David, That's all I was stressing.

17. MarcA

MarcA Guest

Jim, is right, nothing will stop slipping that is already started, but I promise that STOP-ROT, will and does prevent slipping on hides that would have slipped and extends working time. You have to try it to believe it !