1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bear paw claws fell out

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by [email protected], May 23, 2017.

1. I have a black bear hide that I just skinned. A few of the claws came off or are half held on by the hide. Could this be due to the customer not bringing me the hide early enough? The hide seems fine. How can I reattach the claws after tanning?

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

"How do I reattach them after tanning?". I used super glue.

3. That's what I was thinking of doing.

I have the bone joint that is attached to the claw, so i think I will just clean them up good and reattach them once tanned?

Should I just remove them all so none get lost during the commercial tanning?

4. Its just for a soft tanned hide for him to throw on the back of a couch, no mounting required.

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I have wired the claws to the cores when I sent them to the tannery as per their request. You probably could remove them before you send it out. I have never done that.

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Better wire them all in place.

7. The tannery recommended removing them.

8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I guess that's your answer then.

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

You know, I'm not sure I PERSONALLY, wouldn't look for another tannery then. How do you remove those claws that don't want to come off? And if they won't come off now, who knows that will happen when they pickle and tan the hide?

10. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I agree with George here. I have never had a tannery suggest removing them. Wire them yes and one tannery said NO WIRE, we will return all claws that came off and they did. I could just imagine sifting through saw dust or going through pickle or tanning solution to find the right claws for the right bear.

11. How do I wire them? Never done that before? Any pictures would be handy?

12. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I drilled a SMALL hole through the claw and core and out the other side. I then took wire that was a little thicker gauge than thread and ran it through the hole and twist tied it to hold it all together tight. I don't remember what type of wire I used. I would think that some types of wire would negatively effect the pickle or tanning solution.

I would call my tannery and go over this with them. They are the ones who will be dealing with this.
    If you wire them and the tannery doesn't want them wired, they will cut the wire and then you may lose the claws.