1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Apologies to Frank Newmeyer

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by George, May 23, 2017.

1. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

If you've ever been around Frank, you know that's he's not modest about much of anything and if you had any doubts as to how good he is, he has no compunction of telling you. Gotta love a guy you never have to guess where he's coming from.

Some years back he wrote an article on taxidermists themselves and how it seems, no matter how hard some of us may try, they tend to look like homeless people and bag ladies. When confronted about it, they all get damned defensive and explain to you how they're the salt of the earth and how they don't need to dress up for anyone. You're right of course, but looking like a slob and a skank just keeps us in the back woods as far as being credible artsts. Years ago, Sandy Garland held a seminar and she asked all the taxidermist to describe what a taxidermist looked like. Honest to God, these are the descriptions TAXIDERMISTS used to describe TAXIDERMISTS:

Usually pot bellied
    Needs a shave and hair combed
    Wears a baseball cap needing an oil change
    Wears a T-shirt, usually stained
    Chews tobacco, dips snuff, or smokes
    Wears faded worn blue jeans
    Wears a big belt with a big buckle
    Wears old cowboy boots
    Talks like a redneck.

Well, I swore I'd never fit that description and though a few items might have applied at certain times, I simply don't like to carry our banner unless I look as if I could go to bible study if I wanted to.

The reason for this is what I saw in pictures at the World Show this past week. I'm sure it will be the same at the NTA this summer. Our biggest events standing a wishful chance at publicity, our best and brightest artisans walking down the red carpet, and they guys Sandy Garland described show up. How many pictures have I already seen about winners standing there with the perfectly groomed mount, big showy plaque, and huge ribbon with dirty fingernails and a baseball cap on backwards. At least I didn't see a chaw chipmunked in a cheek or black teeth showing through a toothy grin, but it does look like a few of you would take just the least damned bit of pride in yourselves and your work when appearing of our biggest stage.

And just to get a leap on you who'll come out and defend that crap, Goodwill sells good clothes and even Walmart could get you into a polo style shirt, a pair of cheap dress pants and a pair of loafers for under $40. If you can't spend that much getting yourself respectfully dressed, how the hell did you afford the registration, entry fees, hotel and meals for the week.

2. davidferguson

davidferguson Member

With all due respect that's not the show I just attended. The one I just went to had some of the best artists and people in the industry representing us with the highest degree of professionalism and poise. If we let you down I'm sorry.

3. catman

catman Active Member

George, you are a treasure.

4. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

Ain't he though.....

5. Taxiserv

Taxiserv James Newport

I personally hoped to see you there, George!!

6. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    Huh? I thought everyone looked nice at the awards show.

7. Carolin Brak-Dolny

Carolin Brak-Dolny Active Member

Yes I thought every one was very nicely dressed. Some nice classy suits and beautiful dresses. I even borrowed a nice blouse from my mother-in-law and she shops at Saks Fifth Avenue!

8. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Overall the banquet was a very classy affair. There may have been the odd t shirt and dirty jeans but not very many. All the folks I was around were dressed nicely. Taxidermy was well represented at the show.

9. Yep, lots of nicely dressed ladies and gentlemen there !

10. Gary R

Gary R Active Member

If you would have attended George, you would have seen a fine looking group of individuals @ the awards ceremony. I did have a mouth full of Copenhagen after the dinner, but nobody could tell. And I even wore very nice clothes and $800 boots to the event, so I don't fit the mold. To top off my 'wardrobe', I even gave myself a manicure of lacquer thinner before I left Texas for the 14-hour drive to the show. Hahahahaha.

11. allis

allis Member

I dunno, I thought I looked good. Ha!

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

I know I knocked the moth balls off of my "Beatle" suit! Would have loved to have seen you there in your camo tux, George, my friend. A lot of us missed you there.

13. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Yes Allis but you know how to discreetly use Copenhagen.

14. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

Rescue Mission or Salvation Army have pretty good clothes and shoes, and their cheap!! Some of us should visit them!! lol

15. lol what I find amusing is it does for the most part describe my daily attire. But in my defense i could go buy brand new clothes on Monday wear them Tuesday and by the end of the day they will have paint, foam, glue, Cheetos , hand prints of some sort on the pants legs and a rip in the belly on the shirt from snagging a drywall screw left in the mounting stand. and blood from one of my finger cuts some wheres on the shirt . So Wednesday those new clothes look like all the rest in the closet.

Seriously its just the nature of the beast, hazard of the work environment. But NEVER EVER would i go out in a public places wearing those same work clothes.

on a side note. Me doesn't start his day with out a shower in the morning 365 days no matter whats going on. I wont even go deer hunting in the morning without my morning shower. So I don't morning hunt. some folks got to have coffee in the morning I just got to get wet. So my hair under that ball cap you spoke of isn't in need of an oil change. I Don't chew or smoke so those aren't in my list, Don't wear cowboy boots im a Nike, Adidas, Asics, ,K-Swiss, New Balance, kind of guy. don't wear a belt period so there is no buckle.
    But lord I'm guilty of a big belly and redneck speech. Please forgive me I'm trying to do something about that belly but those Cheetos keep coming back into play in this story, The speech wellllllllll I cant be perfect.

16. PA

PA Well-Known Member

George You should have been there. On the awards night, quite a number of people were dressed to the hilt. Allis could have been interviewed on the red carpet much like the Oscars - she looked sharp!

Many people were dressed well for that event, I wore my suit that I got at Goodwill for $10.70. It is the only suit I ever wore, and was worn for the first time at my sons wedding about three years ago. (I wore a corduroy sports coat when I go married that I got from a thrift shop in graduate school, but then I got married at our field station under a hemlock tree).

Larry runs a good show as does the NTA since I attended both within the last year. At the NTA I even got to sit with a celebrity of the Taxidermy.net at the Awards banquet.

Taxidermists have come a long way since the early 1980's. A taxidermists here attended the NTA meeting in Buffalo and he reported that at one seminar the person giving it had a spittoon on the stage and was dressed in a white tea-shirt that was two sizes too small. I only popped in on two seminars at the world show and they were well mannered and dressed.

17. allis

allis Member

Thanks, PA! You looked dapper yourself. I thought everyone at the banquet looked very good-- and more importantly we got to see some good-looking work win awards.
    I'll say this, living in Los Angeles the average person cares a lot about fashion and not much about wildlife, anatomy, artistry, or habitat. I enjoyed the WTC banquet more than I did the Emmy's this year.

18. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Allis, Lord knows I wasn't referring to you. I've never met you, but in every picture of you I've seen - even in Ken's studio- you could have gone out shopping at Tiffanys without changing.

Glenn, brother, you bother me a bit with that description. I can see you walking around your shop with one of those romper suits they're pushing. MY EYES!!!! Please change that vision.

19. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

Doctors and Nurses wear Crocs too not just taxidermists.. :)
    I know they look redneck but man They Are affective especially when worn with socks. I have 2 pair. CAMO.. Yee Yee!!!

20. As several have said, that description is not the show I attended either. Also as one that was there all week working I could count on one hand anyone dressed poorly throughout the week. Now during the week most were in casual wear of one sort or another but at the banquet 98% of the appx. 600 in attendance were well dressed in suits, sport jackets or a button down with slacks or nice jeans. I imagine many of the snap shots on FB or here were impromptu moments prior to or the following morning of the banquet if they gave the impression attendees looked as Neanderthals. That simply wasn't the case.