1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Brian Hendricks is an all around cool guy!

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Tom Maul, May 24, 2017.

1. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

So here's the story...
    I'm an Illinois boy and our state has placed a season on bobcats for the first time of which I'm aware.
    Now, I've never mounted a bobcat, but have wanted to for some time. Since we now have a season, I think it would be wise for me to get some experience, so if and when I get an opportunity to mount one for a customer, I'll know if/that I'm capable.
    So I'm at the WTC for a day (three hour drive) and there's a guy there selling a variety of mammals. He has plenty of bobcats... some really cherry ones and some run of the mill. None of them are cheap as far as I'm concerned. I see bobcats goin for $100 on here relatively often, and he wants $150 for his run of the mill ones. BUT... in this instance I get to look them over, choose from a variety AND I don't have to pay shipping. That considered, maybe it ain't so bad. But what do I know about bobcats? How am I gettin this frozen thing home without thawing? Am I gettin ripped off? So I go over to the McKenzie booth and introduce myself to Brian and start cryin on his shoulder about not knowin what the hell I'm doin and am I an idiot to buy one and how the hell am I gonna get this home. :'(
    After a bit of discussion, he says "Let's go over and look at em and if ya want, I'll help ya pick one out." He says that he's gettin about $100 for Texas cats, but since I"ll be dodgin the shipping expense, if it's a decent cat I'm prolly not gettin hurt all that bad on the price. So we go over and sort through some of them and he sets a couple aside and says "I think either one of those would be a good choice." I picked one and said "How am I gonna get this thing home without the head and feet thawin on me, though."
    Again to the rescue, he goes over to the Mckenzie booth and gets about every bit of packing material they got and some tape and together, we wrap this thing up til it looks like there's a mountain lion under there. I think the guy would have carried it to my truck if I asked him to.... OK, prolly not, but still...
    The moral of the story is the guy didn't know me from Adam and didn't make a dime off me. Didn't seem to matter a bit to him. He shared his knowledge and expertise, shared his time and gave me the confidence to make a good purchase and get it home in good shape. It's already skinned and at the tanner (I use a local guy) with no issues thus far. We all know that he's a master, champion taxidermist and I think that's awesome credentials, but actually, I'm even more impressed that he's an "all around cool guy".

2. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    100% agree! On Tuesday when in line checking in mounts he talked to me about trapping cats and just shooting the bull. He didn't know me at all and may not even remember talking to me. I thought dang, I just talked with a world Champion who was so down to earth. Cool experience for a guy like me who truly loves this art and our community.

3. Taxiserv

Taxiserv James Newport

Hey Tom I don't want to alarm you but I think Brian musta hacked your account and started putting out fake news!!! We all know he is a big ol meany!!!
    Jk he's always willing to help.
    Brian is gonna do a cool seminar down in Texas next month. C u there Brian!
    James Newport

4. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I contacted Brian a couple years ago for help on a fox mount. I sent him photos of the mount and he replied back (quickly I might add) with suggestions to improve my mount. Keep in mind, we have never met. I was a total stranger hobbyist just looking for advice and he took the time to help me. Thanks again Brian for your help and helping the taxidermy community here on taxi.net.

5. Brian really is a great guy! I needed help for a competition squirrel mount and he took the time to get my phone number and send me pictures of a judges competition sheet, which really helped me. Brian really is an all around cool guy! Thanks for making this post!

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I don't think Brian has ever met a stranger. Our first meeting was if we'd known each other our whole lives. He's sure one of the "good guys" in my book.

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I've always been impressed with Brian's easy going willingness to help demeanor just through talking to him on Taxidermy.net.

8. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Yep I agree. I enjoyed talking tech with him on his forms. Good guy for sure.

9. Doug Motgomery

Doug Motgomery Active Member

I call Brian about judging our show last year and He said yes, and then I ask him if He would like to do a workshop also, He said sure. He loves to give back to those that are willing to learn. I have had heard nothing but good things about His workshop and His knowledge of judging. For sure He is one of a kind and a great guy, someone u love being around. PS If He tells you we are having our show in Hawaii and we are pay our judges to go there......Well it could happen.....

10. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

I love his Facebook videos.. They are very informative.. He seminar will be a good learning experience.. Looking forward to it.

11. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

Geez guys, I'm blushing ! ☺️ But please, don't stop now ! I see I need to work on James a bit more. But seriously, thank you !

12. allis

allis Member

This is a fab story. Exactly what going to shows is about!

13. I totally agree! I've chatted with Brian a few times and loving doing cats like I do I really look up to him. He has taken time to talk to me multiple times and offered help and advice. I really appreciate him and need to take the time to put some
    of his recent tanning advice to work. I think I'm getting there...
    Im bout halfway thru those 40 something Brian. Lol ;)

14. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

Recent tanning advice? Do share please.....:)

15. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

FAKE NEWS!! Don't believe everything you read on the Internet ! Haha

We are all looking forward to Brian's hands on seminar at the Texas show this year He is a world of knowledge.

16. Ron Kelly

Ron Kelly Active Member

Great guy. Proud to call him my friend. Great trapper too!

17. bulletbob

bulletbob Member

Brian is an all around cool guy I have been dealing with him since 09 and never a problem!

18. bulletbob

bulletbob Member

Oh man it was since 06 I guess he is still a cool guy!