1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First shoulder mount...critiques welcome

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by lilcajun, May 25, 2017.

1. lilcajun

lilcajun New Member

I've been reading relentlessly, as well as watching several videos including Rick Carter's A-Z and Joe Coombs. Finally got around to mounting my first one up and just sent off my second to the tannery. Let me know what you guys think. My next one is going to be on a wall pedestal, and I will be putting my biggest buck to date on it so any input on an eye catching wall ped is welcome also.

Let me know what I can do to get better, and anything you think I need to focus more on as well.

Attached Files:

2. lilcajun

lilcajun New Member

More pics

Attached Files:

3. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

Looks great for a first but stay away from those hard lines, especially like the ones in the neck.. They do not exist in nature.. Use reference pics of LIVE deer.
    And not so dark around your eyes.. Soften that up some...
    Overall, for a first, you knocked it out of the park.

4. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Great looking first buck. I wish my first buck was that good. Keep it up.

5. lilcajun

lilcajun New Member

I think the pic makes the eyes look darker than they actually are, but I do need to soften them up. I'll get that taken care of this weekend. Thanks for the compliments.

6. big dan

big dan Member

utah
    Very nice mount for your first or 50th. I would concentrate on your ear butts for your next mount. They are too big and too low. Study some good refrence and focus on individual mussels their attachment points and what their pourpose is. The ear butts should not be bigger than the widest point of the ear. Keep up the good work you are leaps and bounds ahead of most people's first.

7. lilcajun

lilcajun New Member

I actually used the eppley ear base and liners to avoid that very issue lol, guess it didn't help. Any particular sites that have good reference photos that I could look into? I definitely want to improve on my next one, and the one after that.

8. Jason L

Jason L New Member

That's a great looking mount to be your first! The best thing you can do is to join your local taxidermy association and take your mount and compete with it. Don't worry about winning . What you will learn from the judge and talking to other taxidermist is way better than any ribbon. All of the questions that you may have can and will be answered when you compete. Good Luck!