1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Longhorn core removal & {Finally mounted}

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by woakley144, May 31, 2017.

1. Guys I think I messed up..... I have a longhorn to mount and after removing the hide from the skull, I cut the horns off the skull. left them for about 3 weeks in the bag and tried to remove the cores. They would come about 2" is all. They have since dried out, (no smell to them now) but I need to remove the cores. Each horn is about 3.5' long!!

This has been a lesson in frustration! The curve of the horns would not let them slide off like they have on the other horned animals I have done.

ANY AND ALL ideas would be appreciated! Thanks Wyatt

2. JerseyJays

JerseyJays New Member

Re: Longhorn core removal

Maybe push them back on and dump fiberglsss resin down them??? No clue...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

3. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Check this out...

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,69520.0.html

4. Re: Longhorn core removal

Thanks for the link Joey!!!! I have looked and looked but must not be putting the right combination or works in the search!

5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Active Member

Seems that the Advanced Search using "removing horn core" brings it up. But not if you use the word "cores" plural. ... and only if you don't select "Skulls and Skeletons". It's a tutorial and is in that section. Searching all of the sections brings it up though. Yes, sometimes you just have to keep whacking at the Archives to get what you want and it can be a test of how creative you are.

6. joeym

I knew that michaelp posted it years ago, so I found it by scrolling through the archives. The search engine for this site stinks.

7. Re: Longhorn core removal

Finally got those puppies pulled!!!!!! Thanks to everyone for the ideas and help finding a solution my problem!

soaked them for 4 days, then drilled a hole in the core, inserted a bolt, wrapped the horns with the webbing, attached the bolt to the come-a-long & pickup then put pressure on the core, about 4 hits with the deadblow hammer and vala they came right off!!!!!

Attached Files:

8. Re: Longhorn core removal

Doing a euro on mine and had to do the same.

[​IMG]

9. joeym

They can be a booger-bear sometimes!

10. Re: Longhorn core removal

The worst in my opinion is a dang watusi. There heave as all get out and don't want to come off.

11. Re: Longhorn core removal

Yes they can Joeym! Now the work begins.... Have the head tanned, waiting for the sheaths to dry and will mount that bugger next Week! Then back to the 10 bobcats that are left for last winter.....

12. Re: Longhorn core removal

I'm having issues reattaching the horns on a Watusi it seams they have shrank a considerable amount . I've sanded down the 10 inch of core I have on them but still no luck. I'm soaking the horns now to soften them a little any suggestions on how short I can go with the cores?

13. joeym

Saw all but 4-6 inches off the cores. Whittle away on the cores with a saws-all til they fit, then bondo in place. Wetting will help some, but they seem to split when wet.

14. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Active Member

Joeym, I have yet to attempt one of those. Might never see one as I don't know of many around here at all. With the weight of those horns, is 4 to 6 inches of a core enough to hold the weight without a steel rod or something inserted for internal support?

15. Re: Longhorn core removal

I mounted a large Watusi and kept the skull with cores complete as a euro. What I did to mount the head was to get another beef that had horns and built up the cores to match the original using screws and paper mache . Used bondo to secure the horns to the mount.

16. joeym

The horns are surprisingly lightweight. Never had an issue with them coming off or loose

17. Re: Longhorn core removal

Well guys I finally got my longhorn mounted!!!! Here he is drying, still need to do the finish work so I can get this big boy out of the showroom! horns ended up being a little over 6' tip to tip on the mount!!! My customer also wanted the back hide soft-tanned, that I had to send to the tannery, ended up being 47 sq/ft!!! and turned out beautiful!

Attached Files:

18. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Active Member

Nicely done.

19. Thanks Sea Wolf Will post pictures when he gets dry and I do the finish work...

20. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Re: Longhorn core removal & {Finally mounted}

Dang Wyatt that's nice! Bet you're glad to have that behind you!