1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rock Ledge for cat

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by woakley144, May 31, 2017.

1. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

Here's a rock ledge I just finished for a cat.

What do ya think??

used plywood, burlap & a texture gun to create it.

Attached Files:

JL likes this.
  2. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I'd say it looks pretty good! It's good you didn't over do it with the moss but I would probably throw a dab on the top. Most rocks I see in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park when I go hiking have it on the top if its on the side. Just my thoughts on it!

I have to ask though, what is a texture gun? Don't believe I have heard that term before.

3. Rausch

Rausch Well-Known Member

A texture gun is used for putting texture on drywall. It has a big hopper full of mud and uses air pressure to spray it on the wall or in this case rock.

4. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

Yep.. That's what a texture gun does Rausch!

I used drywall mud and plaster, then painted with airbrush and finished it off with just a light coat of the Kryon Rock Texture. My customer really like it!

5. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

The only way I ever put up drywall is smooth. I was looking at Lowes and I think they have something that may do the job. I may investigate it a bit further when I have spare time (<-- what's that?!) Thanks for the explanation Rausch.

6. Rausch

Rausch Well-Known Member

You're welcome

7. What do you use to seal your rock?

8. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

I didn't seal this one but I usually seal with a satin or flat Krylon finish....

9. Syms1919

Syms1919 Member

They are around 100-200

Attached Files:

10. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

Another option for a drywall gun is to check your local pawn shops... That's whee I find lots of my stuff... I haven't bought a new dremel tool in I don't know when. I find them at the pawnshop for $8-10 and can usually talk them down on price....

11. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I got one at harbor freight for $30. Used it to texture my shop.