1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

bugs keep flying

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by hairy perch, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Got a bunch of dermisteds off a person on here that just wanted to get rid of them. So I thought this would be a good way to start my colonies over again. Only trouble is every-time I open the freezer door these damn things keep trying to fly out. Never had this problem with my other bugs. Temp is set at 77 degrees for a little over a week now and they still keep trying to fly. Any solutions out there would be very helpful.

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Are you sure the 77 is accurate? Test the temp at the top and bottom of the enclosure. They normally don't fly unless it is over 80. Is there a hot spot somewhere? I guess that covering the top with fine screen under the lid will stop escapees but having them not fly at all is much easier to deal with.

3. I have them in a chest freezer, with a bathroom fan for air circulation, and the room itself is at 75 degrees and the humidity is kept between 45 and 55 percent. I added a little more bedding yesterday and it seems to have slowed the flying down a little but they still seem to want to get up and go. Never had this problem with my other tanks. Tank is set up with the fan and a ceramic bulb for heat and I keep the temp. regulated. Don't want to over feed them because I don't want the problem(red legged hams), that I just got rid of by throwing out the old tanks

4. I dropped the temp down to 75 it read 80 degrees when I opened it today,and turned the circulation fan on 24/7 to see if that helps. Just opened it again and they started to fly again. ArGGGGW! If it's not red legged hams its flying beetles.Got to get this under control before I start 2nd tank. At least they are in a separate shop from the taxidermy shop