1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Seal skin smell

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by BigSwede, Jun 3, 2017.

1. BigSwede

BigSwede Member

Hello, I wonder if there is anyone who knows of a good way to get rid of that
    "fishy" smell in a tanned seal skin? I have tanned several and they turned
    out great, soft and stretchy, but still that smell of fish is there. I pressure wash them, pickle and
    degrease, tan with Lutan F. Thanks for any suggestions.
    B S

2. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

Hi BigSwede!

When I was up working with my Inuit Friends (Eskimos) in AK we used pure - no dilution, Odorless Mineral Spirits for our Degreaser. Mostly on Seals - and it seemed to work well for us. Sometimes they refer to it as Stoddard Solvent - chemically. It was so cold up there (-30 Degrees below zero for 3 months) that a 2 hour soak (at Room Temperature), after we had pickled, and shaven each skin used to degrease and rid them of any smell. Afterwards, we used to take out the skins, rinse and let them drip for 30 minutes, then return them to our pickle (Always), then we would add some water to the degreaser (about 1Gl. H2O: to 4 Gls. of degreaser we used) and put it outside to freeze up and let the debris sink to the bottom water layer. Then we would pour off the OMS so we could reuse it again (it didn't freeze) , and take the Water, Fat and Debris layer (frozen) out of the bottom to the Dump.

I hope this helps you out on this problem!

3. BigSwede

BigSwede Member

Thank you for your reply!!
    It was most helpful.

PURE Mineral spirits really did the thing!!
    Thanks again / BS

4. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

Thanks BigSwede - Good News!

Bruce Rittel