1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Grey Fox Hide Help Plz*******

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by deadperfecttaxidermy, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Just finished tanning my first bobcat and grey fox hides, I've done deer, coons, and many others before but not predators. I have used Amy's guide she posted on here which uses Bruce Rittel's items (Pro-Plus, EZ-100, Super Solvent and so on). I have had awesome results with all so far. But for some reason my grey fox is still really oily :-\ i split the tail, fleshed, degreased, and then after oiling and streaching used mineral spirits to try and remove and remaining oils. I still can not get the tail to fluff and not feel oily. Does anyone have any recommendations for me? I have seen were you can wash the hides in a detergant? Is this ok? I do not hace access to a tumlber but could also throw it in a trash bag with saswdust and shake too. Any help would be great. Thank you so much!!

2. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

Hi Sierra!

Have you used the Sawdust degreasing method? Do it outdoors, the Lacquer Thinner is Flammable - but take a black plastic garbage bag - put in some Hardwood Sawdust and then pour in some Lacquer Thinner - but only enough to dampen it. Don't make it super wet or soupy! Now Seal the bag and bounce it around in your arms to mix it up, then open it, and put in your skin. Now bounce it around again for 5 to 10 minutes and then remove it. After removing it, shake out the excess sawdust, and blow it out with an air hose. It should now be nice and clean and the tail should fluff out for you!

3. Wahbush

Wahbush New Member

Rub some non scented talcum powder into the fur,brush it in,then shake it out.