1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Africrap

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by George, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Taxiserv

Taxiserv James Newport

Giggling!!!!!!

2. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

What interests me is how your helper got a steinbok skin onto a red duiker mannikin! That boy has some amazing altering skills, please post pics.

3. I would like to see pictures to, and hear what the client says about the switch!

4. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

I'm getting confused ! So the Red Duiker is a Steenbok is now a Unicorn ?

5. Amy

Amy Mammal artist

I'm not an expert in African work, having done only three safaris so far, but I was impressed with the overall quality of the skins, the speed at which they were shipped to the broker, and they were definitely the same animals my clients shot. I think 90% of the problems are the fault of the outfitter and their hired hands, so choosing a quality outfitter is of upmost importance.

6. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Seriously, he must have spent days changing a red duiker form to fit a steinbok skin

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

"I'm NOT an taxidermist who often gets Africrap in to do. I don't even LIKE Africa"

I guess that's a good thing to know? It begs one to wonder if your "very good" client who loves hunting Africa realizes your true disdain for his Africrap"? You and/or your hired help must have pleased him with your previous work in spite of your admitted dislikes as he keeps coming back for repeats. Being someone who enjoys Africa and it's wildlife so much I will probably never share your point of view, but it does surprise me that you feel the need to express your disdain as often as you have for this on many previous posts. The challenge of the work, as you often point out, is rewarding in itself and makes for better taxidermists. Whether that be in practicing old school techniques , developing varied artisan skills or simply knowing how to invent unique solutions, you always pitch in and give your opinions freely, (some pretty harsh) which are with good intent I believe. However, here you seem to be making a point which simply reinforces why you should think about referring your African work to someone else. That way we will all know that you are finally relieved of this unwanted challenge of "Africrap" and you can take a great sigh of relief that you need not partake in it any longer. Life is too short to be that negative about something you can control, just to be able to rag on it whenever the urge comes up. The helpful teaching point here was unfortunately buried by the many reactions to your expressed biases. Sorry if I overstepped here but I really think you are better than this George. I also think you must have had some really, really bad experiences to bring you to your current thinking. Either that or you harbor some sort of bias against learning about African game which you have claimed to be unfamiliar with. It just comes off poorly IMO and I know you are too astute to be satisfied with these interpretations. Maybe a good teaching moment would be for you to explain the progression of events that lead you to become biased. In the end it really makes no difference if you do or not but this continually expressed bias only gives others the impression you are not willing to go beyond your comfort zone in your thinking which is uncharacteristic.

Best to you. R.

8. catman

catman Active Member

I'm gonna go with Harry Callahan on this one, "A man needs to know his limitations".

9. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    After seeing the pics Jerry posted how in carnations could those ears be mistaken?? I'm dying to see pics of the mounts George

10. JPT

JPT Member

[/quote]
    What did your client say? Let's see the pics.

11. DL

DL Well-Known Member

After a person has done any kind work for decades there are some things that you Can do but choose not to. I was a HD truck and equipment mechanic for 30 years. I could repair anything that was brought in and that included tearing down a 10 wheel diesel rig to the frame and rebuilding it. One thing I Hated was forklifts. Don't know why but I just did. The older I got the worse I hated them.
    I can totally relate to George's disdain for African game. It's not that he can't do it and do it well he chooses not to. When we get into our late 60s and beyond there's no sense in doing things you don't like doing. Times short so you might as well do what you enjoy. No sense shortening your life over doing something you hate.. my wife would have to sedate me and tie me to a wheel chair to get me to go to a ballet or Opera.

12. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

You got that right!

13. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

"No sense shortening your life over doing something you hate.. my wife would have to sedate me and tie me to a wheel chair to get me to go to a ballet or Opera"

I'm there with you on all said. I know George can do anything he sets his mind to. I think all good taxidermists have to have that mentality to figure it out when things go differently than planned and create something new when needed to make their vision of the mount into art.

PS DL I used to operate numerous forklifts as a foreman in my Dad's Rigging and Trucking business back in the 60's-early 70's; plus even worked on some of his heavy truck rebuilds too. In particular, he had this ancient 1942 relic Clark 5 ton that you would have loved. Every time that thing was rev'd up there would be a clouds of blue smoke bellowing out the back...(for sure a nice clean working environment!) But, it had very sensitive hydraulics which made it perfect for the fine touch work related to lifting or moving heavy machinery or pieces. Affectionately called the "red beast" , we all swore Moses must have drove that thing across the Red Sea! I learned a lot from those days of hard work, especially that one can make or do anything you put your mind to as long as you have the right frame of mind, perseverance and most importantly the vision. Speaking of relics, my Dad is still going at almost 103.

14. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

As soon as I saw "africrap", I automatically assumed he was talking about the poor conditions of some of the skins he has had to work with in the past? Working for who I was, I got to work on some of George's African skins, and some were not in the best of shape, if memory serves me correctly.? I remember a gut shot leopard that I think was his, and knew he was going to have to mount laying down ! Half the belly was missing, and looked like the vultures got it some? Other flint dried pcs.

I assume his personal experiences dictate africrap!

African skins in poor condition, weather it be from flint drying(ZERO STRETCH), red mold, or poor skinning from the high-paid help, is very common, and should be expected at some point during your career.(if you ever have the opportunity)

15. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

Does this meet the criteria for this post ? Got the front half turned and prepped. I think I can salvage a half mount. Oh, it's an African Wildcat.

Attached Files:

16. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

I would sew that up.. I bet you'd be surprised you could pull that out of the fire. I've done caracal that were that bad years ago and they turned out without the client knowing.

17. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

No, this won't even hold a stitch. You can just gently pull it to pieces from the shoulders on back. And I too have pulled off worse than this. It came to me as a last resort from another taxidermist. The fellow has taken 3 over the years and has yet to get a mount. I don't know what the first two looked like.

18. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

It's greaseburnt. You can see it good a inch or two to the right of that paper tag.

Kudos to you for getting it that clean from the front legs forward! Wasn't easy , was it?

19. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

Yes, very much like the African Porcupines typically are. I very gently wire wheeled it with a soft brush. As I worked my way back it would just go to pieces. I should have stated above that I have pulled off worse that " looked " this bad. Anyway, just part of the fun dealing with " Africrap" as George would say. Also part of the reason we charge more for it.

20. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

i remember seeing a post from ken where he had a lifesize polar bear that was so bad falling apart he super glued the seams closed. the photo's looked perfect after it was mounted. sometimes when they are falling apart, super glue and some backing material over the damaged area does save the skin. other times they are to far gone to even have this work. good luck brian!