1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hair sticking up!!

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by BrookeSFD16, Jun 8, 2017.

1. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

We've tried...clay slurry, hair gel, hair spray, carding, rewash and dry. It appears to be just the ends of the hair, the roots are laying fine, but the end of the hair is curled up.

Any suggestions on how to fix it, and what caused it? We've only done about 150 deer and this is the first one that no matter what we do, it just won't lay down.

We in house tan and have tanned everything for this year and this one hide (so far) is the only one that's had an issue at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    It appears that you have the skin all bunched up wacky, causing this issue. When stacking "Wrinkles" you need to be careful and not bunch the skin up too much and smooth the hair out while it is wet and drying and card if necessary. If the other stuff failed and if possible, I would rehydrate and taxi those wrinkles out some and comb the hair smooth and card it and let dry.

3. BrookeSFD16

Wanted to add, that the hair was like that even before it was mounted, once it was on the form, we clay slurried the areas and left it until it dried. When we brushed it out, that's what we had.

3bears, no wrinkles in the skin, there are some on the form, but the skin is taxied proper. He spent quite a while right after it was mounted taxiing the skin every which way to try and get it to lay the hair down. When that failed, we clayed it.

I have read all the previous posts on this....I was hoping someone had found something else that we haven't tried. If not, it's either gonna have to be redone with a different cape or something.

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I use Pro-1 hide paste and water as a hair gel. Any water based hide paste that you can comb out when dry should work.

5. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA
    That can happen if your pickle got acidic on you, and if that was the case not much at all can be done to tame that down to "normal".

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Well then. I have had areas on commercially tanned capes that were messed up like that, but not that big. You were unfortunate enough to have it fall right where the wrinkles on the from are. From what I understand is, the hair follicles twisted in the skin do to a "Hot" pickle. True or not, I'm not certain, as I am just getting serious about tanning my own. Did you use any clay in that area under the skin? I find that having a thin layer of clay in areas that are wrinkled helps smooth things out and not bunch up the skin.

7. BrookeSFD16

Tanglewood...that worked great...so far. The pro1 definitely laid it down. Gonna let it dry and see what happens. Thanks y'all for your help and ideas. I'll keep you posted as to wat it does once the Pro1 dries.

8. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

I don't think it has anything to do with tanning. I've had a couple of deer this year, one southern and one northern , that were the same way and all of my mounts are dry preserved. The southern cape was the worst I had seen. I noticed the hair curl when I picked it up from the processor. I used hair gel and carded all the affected areas and let dry. It helped a little but still did not completely flatten the hair. The hunter liked it anyway.

9. BrookeSFD16

Here's what it looked like this morning. Just Pro1 and water. We'll brush it out, and if the hair sticks up again, well redo the Pro 1 and leave it in. Thanks again for all the help. Really glad we didn't have to recape it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ARUsher likes this.
  10. krollh

krollh Active Member

I don't believe it has anything to do with tanning. I've had deer with the same thing and it is always in the same area. I think some deer are prone to it. There has been previous posts showing the same issue as well, but don't ask me to find them.
    I load it up with hair gel and let it dry till the mount is dry then brush out. Has always worked well enough to let go. I use the a green tub of hair gel, I think from Walmart. Got to slather it on thick when the curls are that bad.
    I can see how a water based hide paste would work as well.

11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Brooke, sometimes the magic works and sometimes it doesn't. I have had to leave the hide paste in the hair and lightly brush it so it doesn't look slick. I hope it works out for you.

12. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

One of the cheapest ways to get unruly hair down was shown to me by Dennis Harris. Take a gob of potters clay and just smush it down into the hair and slick it back.

13. BrookeSFD16

George, yes. Once it was mounted, we slicked it down with clay and left it. After 10 days brushed the clay out.. hair curled up. We then took the green hair gel and put a generous amount and carded. After it dried, brushed it out. Hair still currled. At that point, we took it outside and washed it, blow-dried it and tried hairspray. That's when I posted. The Pro1 was the only thing that actually slicked the hair down. Once it dried, we brushed it, but there was still alot of paste on the hair. It looked way better, but felt horrible. So we used​ a wet washcloth and wiped with the hair to remove the paste. A little of the hair popped back up, but nothing like it was. I'll post pics of it once the finish work is done. Definitely saved us from remounting!

14. George1419

George1419 New Member

Tn.
    I have several deer a year do that also, and almost always the hair will slip or come out very easy in thoes areas, I thought it might just be areas that were stressed from dragging or just letting the deer get a little warm after the kill, this year has been the worst so far, and it is also staying much warmer later into our season. Some people just don't think about hauling a deer around in 75 degree temps all day. The best thing I have found is or was a product from Vandyke's called showgroom, it's sort of like car wax but it will lay the hair down and it will stay, I'm not sure if they still carry it or not I have had 1 can for about 5 years and still have half left, it don't take much.

15. I've had it happen a few times. Drives. Me. CRAZY! Quick shot of hairspray and a hot iron seems to be the best fix I've found..
    Hope it works out for you!

16. BrookeSFD16

Here he is ready to go home. Again the Pro1 and water was the only thing that worked. We wound up leaving it on there, since after the first application we washed it back out and there was still some significant hair sticking up. Of course it doesn't look great, but it looks waaaay better than what we had.

One thing that may have led to the issue, is that this particular cape was a little tight. Randy read on here about spritzing capes with baking soda and water so they will let out. He did that on this cape, and 3 more that followed. I remember him telling me in the shop how well it worked. Well all 3 of those capes had some hair differences. One, a short haired Louisiana deer, was "frizzy", the other a little longer haired had some hair that stuck up. Now, with that said, we process all our capes in the order they are received, with a paid deposit. So it's possible that all 3 of these last capes were in the same pickle at the same time. He is not going to use the baking soda and water anymore useless absolutely necessary, and see if that changes on the next couple.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. NMJagdHunter

NMJagdHunter Ted Wenner

Not sure it would be anything, and not sure that they are very different other than missing a couple hydorgen, carbon, and oxygens, Ive always used washing soda, not baking soda when Im trying to get some more stretch in the cape. Just a thought

18. 11th hour

11th hour Member

I've seen it on many deer capes over the years. I wish we had a good answer because it irritates the crap out of me. I had several (3 or 4) this year out of 50 or so capes. I haven't used the baking soda and water trick on any so far this year.

19. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Now your customer is going to say, why does the back of the hair seem hard and crusty, lol. Many if not all deer live in the wild have hairs sticking up all over, they don't have a beauty parlor to go to. Unnatural rolls in the form and skin will cause hairs to stand up, some right and some wrong. The way I see sewing jobs on a lot of taxidermy work out there, it would be safe to say a few hairs out of place would not cause much alarm to the general public.

20. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I have had this happen with several deer over the years and have tried nearly everything mentioned on here. What I have had most success with is the conditioned you use after shampoo. I rub generous anounts of conditioner on and into the hair and smooth it down. It sometimes takes more than one treatment but it has been very effective for me. Using a large amount of conditioner can slighty discolor the hair. It is slight, but if the application is in a localized area it can be noticeable. If that happens I put conditioner over the whole cape to blend it in.