1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

bullhead

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by oaktree, Jun 8, 2017.

1. oaktree

oaktree Member

Going to try mounting my first Bullhead(14 3/4) I,ve been flipping threw my catalogs and not seeing any forms would anyone know if they are available or would I need to carve my own.Also any tips would be welcome as this is my first attempt.
    Thank you

2. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Molding is the only way i have done them. Skin mount may be possible, but i wouldn't try one.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

lol Paul I skin mount my cats all the time (ya one of the few who is crazy enough to do this.
    Paul is right it's better to cast but if you choose to go to skin mount then you must and this is a must cause of grease, oils and major shrinkage is to cast the head and fins.
    The skin will be like a loose mess and will stretch unreal on them so be careful on this don't over stretch taxi that skin and watch it dry.
    Make your body carving as smooth as possible cause any little hole or piece of gunk under that skin will show though like no tomorrow.
    Also don't cast the whiskers make your own with many kinds of line , epoxies etc.
    After this have fun cause it's a pain.

4. oaktree

oaktree Member

OK then another first I will try casting my first fish,Any chance someone could supply me with a required product list I will be ordering from Van Dykes/McKenzie
    Thank You.I have none of the required items so I would need to order everything required so lets say its a 20"fish instead of the 15"I'll be casting better to have extra then run short.
    Also any video suggestions would be welcome. Thanks Again

5. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

May be easier and less costly to but a bullhead blank

6. oaktree

oaktree Member

But I gotta learn somehow figure this is as good an opportunity as any.