1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Skin vs repro prices?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Mudbat, Jun 9, 2017.

1. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

Do you guys not get the fact that when doing skin mounts that you get to keep most of the dollars generated instead of giving half of it to a replica supplier. Even if it does take longer you are being compensated by the fact that you are not shelling out $150 or more on a blank. If the invoice is $400 and you are paying $175 in a blank you are making $225 gross in labor.
    For a skin mount you might have $50 in materials, less than that if you carve your own body. If you charged the same for skins that you do for replicas you would make $125 more in labor revenue. So, if skin mounts take longer than replicas, lets say that fish takes 3 hours longer, (which I doubt) you have been compensated $42. per hour for that extra effort. If it only takes 2 hrs more you've been compensated over $60. per hr more.
    The reality of replicas is that you need to do 33-50% more gross volume in invoices to generate the same labor dollars that you receive in skin mounts.

2. fishmaster

Sorry Cole, when I read the post I see that he has already discussed this.

3. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

Cole and Don have this correct IMO. Skin mounts are $$$$$$$$$

4. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Cole and Don have it correct because they calculated all their costs, including their billing rate and hours and it came out that way for them. Not because "skin mounts are $$$$$". BOTH skin mounts and replicas are $$$$$. For me the added time into a skin mount adds up to the cost of thr RTP blank. It all obviously depends on how much time you have into each and your billing rate along with the cost of your materials. For me it takes me longer than three hours to do a skin mount vs. a replica (but again, I usually buy RTP). And for me it works out to be about the same cost. Simply put, the cost of the blank is a cost and so is labor. Yes, I have to do more replicas vs. skins to make the same AMOUNT of profit, but the percentages or profit margins are the same on both. I know some in the industry where their amount of labor into a skin mount becomes more and more as the bar gets raised. And, in fact they charge more for their skin mounts vs. replicas...

5. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

20" fish
    400$
    lets say 5 hrs / fish

REPRO SKIN
    Form $100 Form $20
    eyes $10 eyes $10
    ------------- Epoxy $5
    ------------- All other materials (carding, fin backing, etc...) $10
    Driftwood $20 Driftwood $20

Net $270 Net $335

I wasn't calling anyone out as I know what it takes to get both out the door. All I was saying, that all things on the front end being equal, skin mounts are where the $$ lays.

6. Let me first say that I won't touch a skin mount for less than $600 and replicas $500

You guys are comparing mount for mount saying you make more on skin mounts. While that might be true in some cases , you are missing the big picture. I can do five replicas to one skin mount, so overall I'll make way more doing replicas.

7. fishmaster

JP your situation is a little different than most of us because you have a large inventory of nice molds that probably cover the majority of fish that you do.. If 80% of the blanks you need are in house molds you are making money on the majority of replica blanks because you are making them yourself. If you are faster on replicas or slower on skin mounts it doesn't matter because you've adjusted your prices accordingly and are making money either way. That is the best case scenerio.
    However, if guys are purchasing a blank then the only money they make off the deal is the difference between costs and the total invoice. If all they are doing is replicas, and they have to purchase the majority of them, they better find a way to get at least a third- to double the number of fish orders thru the door because someone else is collecting half of of the total invoice.
    I'll take every skin mount that comes thru the door and be glad to see it.

8. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

I look at it this way.. I'm not hurting for work. I have a 1 year turnaround and I'm stressed out to stay on schedule. I don't need to have a skin mount hanging a week in my way carded to dry, etc. I have a small workshop and much rather paint a rtp repro and have it out the door before a skin mount is even degreased. I'll take the less income, cause it's less hours of work, and most of all, less hassle. It also means more time off to hunt, and that in return lessens my stress levels ;)

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

9. fishmaster

Jersey, you are handling the situation in the smartest possible way. If a guy has all the work he can handle he needs to run the meter up and decide what he doesn't want to do. There is not a thing wrong with that. My comment was directed more to the guys who rely on fish for a large portion of the pie or the ones who only do fish.

10. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

That's the thing Cory, "all things are not equal" for others and your numbers only work for your shop. I look at things a little differently. I look at what it takes to get BOTH my skins and my reps to the painting stage. I can purchase a 20" RTP replica shipped for under $200 bucks. Including materials I cannot skin, flesh, de-grease, tan, mount, back fins, rebuild shrunken areas, set eyes and repair any damage on body and fins, blend and seal a 20" original skin mount Bass for under $200 bucks at the rate I wish to make. Different strokes....

11. JerseyJays

Not to mention the added cost of freezers not needed for repros

12. Here's a better way to look at it because all things are not equal but I'll use your numbers and change one thing.

5 hours to do a skin @ 2 a day is $670

2 hours to do a blank I order @ 5 a day is $1350

13. JerseyJays

And to top it off you don't stink like fish.
    No slimy mess to clean up
    No casting
    No foam dust
    No waiting between steps.

Fiberglass is win win

14. Timjo

Timjo Active Member

USA
    Great discussion! I would say Fishmaster and Cole have it figured out the way I see it.

15. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

Definitely some interesting perspectives. I recently raised prices on both but like Cole I charge slightly more for repros. I wasn't seeing an acceptable profit margin on them before. The way I see it some skin mounts have a bigger profit margin than others but it averages out. I'm going to see how it goes at current prices and may increase again next year. I'm starting to believe the theory that if nobody is complaining about your prices raise them. Lol. Seriously though, with increases in shipping charges and materials you have to adjust accordingly to an acceptable profit margin.

16. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I think one major factor is how fast you are. Most of you are estimating 5 hours for a skin mount. I figure 3 hours on the average bass, and that's conservative. If you carve your own body it takes an additional 20 minutes, but you make an additional $20 so it's a wash.

17. fishmaster

Some of you guys are a trip. There is a difference between not being able to make money on something and not wanting to do it. I don't like doing deer, possums, life-size coyotes, anything with feathers, armadillo rugs or strutting hummingbirds so I don't choose to take anything but fish in the shop. However if I did do them I would price them so I could and did make money on them. If I could open a box with a replica, grind seams, install gills and eyes, put in a mouth, primer and do a kick arse paint job in 2 hrs of total elapsed time I would probably prefer replicas too but I can't so I'll just take in the skin mounts that everyone else turns away. 8)