1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

HELP !!!

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by kickstart59, Jun 10, 2017.

1. kickstart59

kickstart59 Member

I have a customer that wants an arrow Head plaque used for a BASE for an euro mount. Problem is he wants a dirt circle in it with the skull laying kind of on its side with a coyote print in the dirt, like it was laying on the ground. He shot this buck and didn't find it before the coyotes did.
    I took a router and took the circle out (1/4) and made a water glue and peat moss. It grew mold and split the wood. What am I doing wrong???

2. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

When you routered the hole, you took away the sealer. You should have resealed the wood before adding any water. It also sounds like you put too thick a layer of glue/ moss and it never dried in the middle, causing the mold. Do thin layers and allow each to dry completely before adding more.

3. kickstart59

kickstart59 Member

Thank you

4. Sikk

Sikk Member

you may consider making your dirt out of two part foam, you can put dry paint pigment in the foam before mixing to color, then for realism spread some dirt on the foam before it sets. the dirt will adhere to the foam giving he impression that its all dirt, never had mold issues, also the foam does not cause the wood to swell like water based glues do, preventing cracking or joint separation. paul

5. What they said, seal the wood and build up most of your dirt base with another material before actually adding the glue and dirt for your final layer. I run a dehumidifier in the shop too.

6. kickstart59

kickstart59 Member

Thanks guys