1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Advice on Relocating - Freezer/Specimens

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by [email protected], Jun 10, 2017.

1. Hi Bird friends,

I'll be soon relocating to over 20 hours away. I was wondering what experience you have moving your chest freezers and keeping your specimens safe while moving?

-The trip will be in a Uhaul over 2 days
    -Will the specimens stay frozen if I keep the freezer lid shut?
    -Should I hire a temperature controlled truck to deliver my freezer to my new home?

:D
    Any help or experiences is greatly appreciated friends!

2. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Active Member

Leave in freezer and leave it to the back of the u-haul and when you stop to sleep plug it back in over night and you will be fine " don't forget an extension cord"
    When you load the freezer make sure the fan vent is towards the door and free to air flow.

3. Doug B

Doug B Active Member

I moved from NJ to MT.
    Trip took 3 days with birds in a freezer. All arrived in fine shape and still froze.
    You will be fine!

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

just keep the doors shut and you'll be good for 2 to 3 days easy.

5. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

It should be fine, but in case of doubt you could always toss in some dry ice for your peace of mind. Be sure to wrap it up in a towel if you do, so that it wont make direct contact with any of your specimens.
    Another hint: make sure the freezer is full, even if you have to use frozen jugs of water to fill it up. The more frozen mass you have, the longer it will take to thaw.

6. Ah, thank you friends...this really puts my mind at ease over something that is SOOO important to me...my birds! This is a lot easier than anticipated.

Great to know and hear your experiences of how you made your move with your chest freezers and specimens.

I'm going to fill up the freezer (thanks Nancy) and then travel with it at the back of the Uhaul and carry an extension cord to plug in overnight. The trip will be during summer, so the cooling at night couldn't hurt. Thanks so much for your time, I really appreciate and trust your advice on this.

;D

7. bananas!

bananas! Member

I recently did a big 3 day move with my freezers. I was really worried about them too, but everything made it. All of the above advice is spot on, and here are a couple of other things I learned:

1) As previous posts pointed out, load the freezers in the back of the truck (last in/first out). I did not plug my freezers in at night because I couldn't, but it was still ok.

2) If possible, park in the shade when you stop. Those trucks get really hot inside and every little bit helps. My route took me across the desert through Vegas, etc and I was really concerned about the heat.

3) Pack your smallest specimens in the middle of of the freezer and surround them with the larger frozen items. It will keep them from thawing faster.

4) I used gorilla tape and sealed the freezer lids shut (do a couple of loops around the lid). Don't open your freezers at all during your trip. Gorilla tape is super strong. If you're worried about tape residue when you remove the tape at your destination, get some goo-gone.

5) Be prepared to get a few dents in your freezers. Mine got a bit roughed up, but nothing really bad.

Good luck! Moving is stressful but moving with freezers and a prized specimen collection takes it to the next level. ;)

8. Ha, moving IS stressful, and the last thing I want is to lose my specimens due to not taking the necessary precautions in transporting them. Thanks so much for taking the time to add your tips and experience on the topic. I appreciate you sharing.

I'm gonna try and not dent it too much but I'm usually butter fingers ::)

9. All birds and the freezer made it safely to it's destination. How I did it with the chest freezer traveling inside an unrefrigerated budget moving truck on hot summer days.

1) place all specimens inside cardboard boxes inside freezer.
    2) morning of travel stopped and bought $70 worth of dry ice to fill freezer
    3) drove 10 hours to rv park
    4) plugged freezer into rv electric plug in during the evening and overnight (there is no air circulation inside my freezer)
    5) woke up and bought more dry ice in the morning. there was still plenty of dry ice left inside so i only spent $30 additionally on dry ice. I probably didn't need to purchase anymore but wanted to be sure it would last.
    6) drove 10 hours to hotel and upon arrival plugged freezer into electrical outlet in light post at hotel
    7) woke up and checked ice, still dry ice remaining
    8) drove to new home in the morning (20 mins) and there was still dry ice left inside. in fact PLENTY of dry ice.

Thanks for your help and advice along the way. I learned dry ice lasts a VERY long time ::)

Attached Files: