1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question for those who send out their tanning

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Rhino, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

Do you send it out dry salted, or do you send it out frozen and let your Tanner do it all..... Flesh,turn,salt

This is really a poll.

2. John67

John67 Member

Re: Question for those that send out their tanning?

Salted

3. Rhino

Thanks John!

4. Re: Question for those that send out their tanning?

Depends on the time I have to do the capes. I do some of both

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Salted.

6. Rhino

Thanks.

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

It seems risky to me to send anything out anywhere for any service, so, the less I have to worry about the better I sleep at night. I have never worried about a dry salted cape thawing out when I send it by the slowest least expensive way possible.

8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN

Why in the hell would you send a green cape via any method? In today's world it seems that sending any cape to a tannery is a gamble.

9. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

Salted

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

10. Rhino

That sending out raw skins through the postal services also worries me!

I would have to disagree with that statement partially. In my best judgment, there are a good six or more operations that I wouldn't give a second thought about the safety and quality of the skin you would get back. There are still a few operations out there that will deliver a quality product, consistently, close to every time. No one is perfect, no matter how much they think they might be.

There are MANY other types of skins being tanned besides deer, and your basic bread and butter mounts that 75% of the nations Taxidermist's take in every year. MANY HIGH DOLLAR SKINS! They are ALL getting tanned by those tannerys some have so little faith in.

I would love to see a LS Bongo, LS mtn goat, LS Marco Polo, dama gazelle, mtn Nyala, polar bear, brown bear, grizzly, giraffe, hippo, elephant, blue-stone-dall-bighorn- sheep, yellow back duiker, big cats, etc, get a good helping of Krowtan.
    When you get to this level of Taxidermy, you learn to really appreciate the valuable service these tannerys provide!

I don't mean to sound like I'm jumping on you 3bears, but, you really can't imagine the level of responsibility these folks take on unless you been there. Yes, there are some dip-sticks that try to take on this responsibility that don't have a clue. That's what scares me!

11. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN

No worries Aubrey. I can take it. As long as others learn from it, it's all good.
    The point I was really trying to make was that the shipping companies pretty much will not cover the loss of the skins, for whatever reason, especially rotten capes. So why would you not do everything that is in your power to avoid those skins rotting during transit?
    I understand the responsibility that the tanneries undertake, remember we also share that same responsibility. We chose to send to them.

12. Rhino

Sorry I misunderstood. :)

Yeah, I have seen many a box of rotting skins. Even if 99.5% make it, that .5 is too much in my opinion. I have seen some that would drive their skins over 500 miles, and making sure the weather was right.

I guess most of the hundreds of reads here are tanning their own skins? I really had no intention of giving an opinion either way on this topic. I just wanted to see if the fleshing/tanning combo is more dominant now over the regular dry salting, then to the tanner. Thanks to those who took the 30 seconds to reply!

13. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

Salted here too..

14. Re: Question for those that send out their tanning?

Both , but majority salted

15. Wahbush

Wahbush New Member

10's of millions of air dried skins are shipped to dressing plants every year.

16. Rhino

Your point? Has nothing to do with this, but, I will bite.

Furriers are not concerned about epidermis around eyes etc. Salting is more suitable for taxidermy

17. Wahbush

Wahbush New Member

Lots of dried bears,wolves and wolverines skinned and handled for taxidermy sold at the auction houses.

18. Rhino

Ok, let's add -" how many Taxidermist's air dry their skins before sending them to the tannery?"
    Happy now? No one is arguing your point? Read the initial post. It's a simple yes or no question? How many deer capes are air dried every year? I think you're looking for a trappers forum? Bears shouldn't be included in the point you're trying to make, what ever that is? I might have seen two dozen air dried bears in the 25 or so years I was with Taxidermy tannerys. That's probably 24 out of 150k or more? Air dried skins coming to a Taxidermy tannery were far and few between. Maybe 1-2% of all fur bearers. That's why I didn't include that option.

19. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I have tanned deer capes salt dried and air dried. Hands down, salt dried is waaaay better to work with.

20. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

If I send one its salted..