1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

9th Annual International Deer Biology Congress

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by John Janelli, Jun 14, 2017.

1. John Janelli

John Janelli New Member

N.J.
    You will not find any surprise deer head judges here, but many of the mysteries that regulate, cultivate and manage our sustainable wild deer populations can certainly be addressed by the taxidermy industry on the grandest of scales as well. This is one of the many places in which our concerns as taxidermists can be voiced, heard and acted upon. Most importantly, it is WE who can teach these wildlife professionals more about the modern techniques of our profession than they ever imagined can be learned - because many of them are our clients as well! Imagine an ongoing seminar of a team of taxidermists actually preparing and mounting an elk, deer, caribou or moose on location in the lobby. The only question we should be asking these excellent professionals is this; "What can our industry do to help you help us?"
    Yet, it is understood that all our current taxidermist's organizations can't afford the man power or financial resources it requires to send representatives to gatherings such as this;
    http://www.deerbiologycongress.org/
    In my opinion, "CAN'T" really means one does want to bad enough.
    If we don't take the time now for concerns such as this, other well organized groups will certainly help take away our rights as taxidermists. It shouldn't take an African lion named Cecil, to let us know that there's a wolf at our door.

2. Joe Kish

Joe Kish Well-Known Member

Texas
    JJ,
    While browsing through state associations' bylaws some time ago, I came across this in the Oklahoma association's bylaws:

SECTION II: PURPOSE
    The purpose of the OKTA shall be
    E. to assist in ANY WAY POSSIBLE in the conservation of ALL our natural resources for future generations, (Emphasis added.)

No other club's bylaws that I examined came close to this noble statement. Upon inquiring with an officer at the OKTA show last week, I asked if OKTA had an active program of any kind to carry out that mandate. He was speechless, like he had no idea what I was talking about. To allow him to save face, I quickly followed by praising the association for such a rare and noble ideal in it's bylaws and suggested that the club could easily meet that mandate passively without asking any member to lift a finger by doing any physical work on an actual outdoor conservation progect.
    I suggested that they raise the dues by ten dollars and dedicate that additional revenue to a conservation organization that actually does walk the walk, like Conservation Force, or one of the Safari club outfits. His somewhat bewildered expression at the thought actually turned into a smile like when a man finds some folding money in an old pair of neglected pants.
    And those renewing or joining for the first time who could show a membership card in a bona fide conservation club like Ducks Unlimited and such like, wouldn't have to pay the surcharge. It remains to be seen if the suggestion takes root, but I'm not very optimistic. Taxidermy clubs are all about competitons, not wildlife conservation.

3. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Unbelievable

4. mwtax

mwtax New Member

.................. believable .............................

5. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Its funny how joe is so uninformed about actual wildlife conservation. The largest revenue builder in the history of game conservation isn't RMEF, DU , SCI ....... or any other of these organization.

The largest revenue building force for wildlife conservation in the world is the PURCHASING OF HUNTING and FISHING LICENSE AND HARVEST TAGS. You can create all the clubs you want but all of them combined won't raise as much money as the cost of license, tags , equipment taxes and fees that millions of hunters purchase every year.

The People who attended the Oklahoma Taxidermy association convention spend hundreds of thousands of dollars over their lifetime buying hunting and fishing license in Oklahoma and the world. That should also include all the out of state license they buy and all the added taxes that are paid on hunting and fishing gear that apply directly to conservation.

I applaud all the members and attendees of the OKTA who contribute their hard earned money to conservation efforts every year, If it wasn't for your funds there wouldn't be any hunting and fishing.

6. catman

catman Active Member

Way to go Jerry, I think Joe was just about to get on a roll and you on the offensive. Jerry, you are a Texan, they may not be Yankees, but they are Okies. Can't you just let Joe toy with them a bit? You can step in if it looks like someone might get hurt.