1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Giant Bluegill

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Jimmy Lawrence, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

I've been blessed with some extraordinary fish over the years. Doing what we do usually puts large specimens in our shops to be mounted, molded, etc....

This is by far the biggest one I've ever seen. Pure strain Bluegill . Only 11.25'' long, but had a girth of 15.5''. It was unbelievably thick, and heavy. Words really can't describe this fish.

It weighed 2.11-7lbs and was out of a farm pond just north of my town. I will be molding it. It was flawless on both sides.

enjoy...
    Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

Fine fish for sure Jimmy, I know you will do it proud!

~S

3. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Looks like a skillet with fins!

4. den007

den007 Active Member

Must be eating what the folks here in Black River Falls dine on.........All you can eat Chinese Buffet. They grow 'em big up here. Man and wife last week, man....550 -600 estimated weight on the hoof. Wife....in an electric cart unable to walk.......400+. Sadly, these trophy proportions do not translate into the world of fish here.

5. EA

EA Well-Known Member

WOW, That thing is massive. I'd love to see one that big in person.

6. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

That's an awesome bluegill Jimmy!!

7. Timjo

Timjo Active Member

USA
    That's a toadster for sure. I've gotten a couple like that before but not with those proportions and I wondered if they were fed to make them grow like that. Sometimes you can tell by looking at the fins and tail, they can be somewhat short and squat from not moving around much. Possibly from the lack of predators not chasing them and they just sit there under the feeder waiting to be fed. This is my observation of fish I have seen in controlled environments.

I'm not saying 100% this is the case with this fish, it could be totally wild however and whatever, it does take a unique environment to produce gilltoads like that. Cool fish.

8. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

I think this was just a freak accident. The guy said they've fished the pond for years, and even ice fished it, but never even came close to this girl's size. So who knows.

Looking forward to molding it either way.

Jimmy

9. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Feeding helps but it takes more than feeding. The fish is a genetic anomaly just like other fish that reach well past normal expectations. Something in its genes was there to produce a fish like that. Hatching my own fish there are always a few fish that outperform the others. We call them "shooters."

Could be a combination of a fish that grew fast from the get go AND has longevity to boot. If it was just feeding I'd have produced fish of that size in the years I've been producing large bluegill. My biggest so far is only 1 lb. 8 1/2 ounces.

Another possibility is it is what we call a natural "polyploid fish." During mitosis of the egg after fertilization mitosis was interupted, which rendered the fish with multiple sets of chromosomes. That caused the fish to be sterile so no energy was expended on gonad development or an extended period on a bed not eating.

Regardless awesome fish Jimmy! And the fact that it is a pure strain fish and not a hybrid is even more impressive. Even hybrids don't usually get that big.

10. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

Cecil should have been a ichtyologist not a taxidermist , Wow I'm impressed

11. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

Maybe he is one

12. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

No doubt both!!!

~S

13. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Naah just stayed a Holiday Express last night. :)

14. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

That is a hawg! I actually saw the biggest bluegill I've ever seen in person floating on a northern Illinois Lake two weeks ago that was about 11 inches. But, not nearly as girthy as this pig. And the lake I was on doesn't have any other sunfish other than Bass. So, I know it was a pure bluegill. Male too. Was with the family on a big pontoon and no way to really grab it or keep it from spoiling more (to mount), so I just wished, left it and moved on. This lake is private with some public access thru their boat rentals and does produce some monster gills. 10" BG's are fairly common in this particular lake. And in fact I put 17 of them in the basket last year to eat and could've had plenty more. Don't know what they weighed, but it was a heavy haul! At least a pound each I'm sure. Couldn't even get my hand across them to grab on a couple of them. Great eats!

15. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

You know, I thought that was just an advertising campaign until I stayed at one a couple of months ago. Now you can call me MISTER, Doctor, Professor, Your Honor Scott PHD, MSW and JKL; !

your humble servant
    ~S

16. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

:)