1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

common carp

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Off the Hook, Jun 14, 2017.

1. How difficult is it to skin mount a carp? I have never done one. I have a guy that's asking me about doing one but I don't know what I'm getting in to.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Pretty easy but, I recommend you cast the head and fins and degrease the skin well.

3. Ok thanks 3 bears. Scale loss isn't too big of an issue when skinning and fleshing?

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    You do need to be fairly delicate when skinning and fleshing but nothing out of the ordinary, at least in my experience with them

5. Greasy! Greasy! Greasy! I wish I had cast the head. Had to soak it in DA for about a month before the grease would stop leaching from the scales. Now trying to find a decent paint schedule. Anyone???

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    It has been some years since I mounted one but, I just repainted what I saw in my references, I didn't write it down. I do remember using gold eye shadow on the scales though.

7. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    That is a nice looking carp Kerby, you cast the body and then used a foam form? I carved mine One was a 41" football. I can't get photobucket to work for crap so I can't upload any pics now, maybe later.